• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Question about bank transfer

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
I've found a great apartment with all excellent reviews in Siena https://www.vrbo.com/613006#rates

the owner requires a 30% bank transfer for a deposit. I've never done this before and I'm a tad hesitant. I would imagine that because she has so many great reviews that it's all on the up and up. I'm just not sure how it works. Wish she took PayPal or Visa!

From her listing:
30% bank transfer in advance within 3 days of the booking confirmation date. If booking cancellation is done 60 days before the arrival date, this amount will be refunded apart from bank costs for the owner. If cancellation is done less than 60 days before arrival time, the amount won't be refunded.

70% only cash at arrival time.

Thank you in advance for any advice or reassurance.

Mindy

When we lived in the US we did several bank wires to pay for vacation rentals. Back then we had to go to the bank to have them done. There was a fee - about $35.

In the UK people do bank wires instead of writing checks. I pay the plumber, electrician and others like this. I can do them online with no fee.

The apartment looks great and those are good booking terms. A full refund up to 60 days ahead is good.
Thank you Pauline! I've sent a request to the owner so hopefully it all works out. Our dear friend Cristina has offered to help out with bank transfer. I love my travel friends!! (I will send her the money via PayPal and she will send bank transfer to the owner. It will save me a little bit of money and possibly a headache, LOL). Cristina also says the location of the apartment is very nice. :):D

Thank you! Once I was in contact with the owner and reserved the apartment she told me that I don't need to pay a deposit. Only if a client stays more than 8 nights does she require deposit.

You never know I guess until you contact directly the owners :D

I'm really excited about spending a week in Siena!! I have the apartment address so you know I've been on Google Street maps exploring the area. Cristina Fassio who lives in (near) Siena said it's a quiet area with nice shops. Win Win!!

Mindy

If needing to do a bank transfer, look at www.xoom.com . They charge $4.99 and take a cut in the exchange rate, and it needs to show as a transfer to a person.

We've done a number of these over the years. Indeed probably more often than not with apartment rentals. Never an issue though the BIC and IBAN terminology can be confusing. The terms listed are pretty much in line with the norm we've experienced.

And, Chase charged $50 for our bank transfer for our Matera stay. I ended up paying the full amount with a guarantee of full refund if we need to cancel for some unknown reason (with my back I need to have that assurance).

Once the transfer was started I took a photo of the confirmation page and emailed the image, and then the reservation was confirmed.

Have a great time in Siena, Mindy

We've always paid via wire/bank transfer when we've booked the villa near Sinalunga (Tuscany) that we rent every 2 years or so with my mother-in-law and friends. We've rented it 7 times now, including this May. In fact, we need to wire the remaining 70% balance of rental amount to the agency before April 5th. My husband always takes care of the wire transfers with our bank, and they always charge a $40 fee to make the transfer. I need to check out the Xoom.com link Andrew posted above and see if that would work for us! Thankfully, this year - with the drop in the Euro compared 2013 when we last rented the villa - the total amount, per person for the whole week is about US $140 (house sleeps 16 and we will have a full house). It's like the best deal around for a large stone villa with pool, on a hilltop in Tuscany with views of Cortona and Montepulciano :).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina