• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ravenna day trip

braindoc

100+ Posts
Looking for advice about coordinating a visit to the main historic sites in Ravenna. We will be back in Bologna in early November. I doubt we’ll get to Ravenna before mid morning and we do want to have a nice lunch there. Which attractions before lunch, which after? My wife and I saw some of the mosaics and Dante’s tomb briefly, several years ago. This trip we’re traveling with one of our daughters (adult not child), and she’s never been there. Transport by train, not car, so lunch will be in centro.

We did a day trip in July. Lots of walking involved to get to all the mosaics. The Mausoleum of Theodoric is an outlier, so would add to your walking (we had a car and parked there before moving on to train station). We parked near the train station to make a circuit to the other sites.

Tedoricao Mausoeum
8:30 – 1:30

Battistero degli Ariani
9:00 – 12:00

Basilica San Appolonare Nuovo
9:00 – 6:45

Dante’s Tomb
10:00 – 6:00

Battistero Neoniano
9:00 – 7:00

Archiepiscopal Museum
9:00 – 6:30

Chiesa di Sant'Eufemia-Domus dei Tappeti
10:00 – 6:30

Basilica San Vitale
9:00 – 7:00

Mauseleo Galla Placida
9:30 – 5:00​

Last edited:
Very helpful! Are we better off going on a Monday or Sat/Sun?
We were there on a Tuesday. The sites were not crowded, so not sure how a S/Sn would compare. I would suggest going through the opening hours for each location to avoid any Monday closings (would assume none, but just to be safe).

BTW, there is a mosaics school across from Basilica San Appolonare Nuovo that let us watch the students doing their work -- Koko Mosaic, Via di Roma 136. We bought a few bags of mosaic chips and designs to bring home as little gifts for nieces to put together.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back