• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Returning!

BEERMAN

100+ Posts
Hello everyone! I am happy to say that we just booked our flights from Virginia to Malpensa!! We found 2 weeks in September to escape and at the moment….we have no idea where we are going haha!! The plan will certainly come together at some point, but we’re just so happy to be returning to Italy. I’ll keep reading through all the posts here for inspiration, this site has been so informative and fun to us, thank you!

Excellent!

I'll throw in an early suggestion, as a potential stopover at start or end of your trip. Cascina Cavenago in Ghemme. It's just over 30 mins drive from Malpensa, going west into Piemonte.

We've stayed there twice. Ideally it's perfect for a stay on Saturday or Sunday, as those are the most likely days they'll serve the wonderful little banquets, of a selection of Antipasti, followed by a typically utterly brilliant risotto, then a hearty main course and finally desserts. The usually have sample menus on their website. Accommodation is in spacious olde-worlde high ceiling / stout wooden beamed rooms, but with modern bathrooms. On top of that there's a lovely inner courtyard, ideal for resting /relaxing, but also with the joy of bats flying around at dusk.

and not too far away in Biella, is Birra Menabrea, a historic brewery and one whose beers are lovely on tap.

We have been very busy this year and finally finding the time to get away is really priceless! The limited itinerary conversations my wife and I have had has us considering staying to the north, but everywhere is up for debate. Ian I'll show my wife the early suggestion you provided, looks nice, thank you! Our last trip included my birthday celebration in Montalcino for lunch and Pienza for dinner ....we will be celebrating her birthday this trip and I want her to also have a memorable day!! She fell in love with Lake Como a couple years ago, so maybe a stop there? I said maybe Turin and Aosta Valley? then our daughter, who was just here today says maybe head back into Switzerland for a few days? ... and then my wife says "what...no coastal stops?? so... as you can see we will need time to figure this out! ;-)

Turin is a super city, certainly my favourite big city in Italy, and it feels pretty familiar after maybe a dozen separate stays there. Finishing there might make sense, as it's easy to get back to Milano, and IIRC there's an airport bus from Torino Stazione Porta Nova to Milano Malpensa.

Aosta Valley is interesting and September should be an ideal time to go. We just stayed in the city itself, and whilst enjoyable and pleasingly quirky, I'd probably go rural on a future visit. Coastal might see a Milano, Liguria, Piemonte triangle, but as you mentioned, the lakes can be a good proxy for the coast.

So many options, all of them good ones!

My wife wants to hike and put the Dolomites on the radar! It’s been on my bucket list! Not knowing much about the vast area, I’m leaning towards the western side…. Any experiences you want to share we’d appreciate it!!

Brilliant walking in the Langhe, but also some great walking around Castino (and elsewhere)

However if she put the Dolomites on the radar, your idea of Valle d'Aosta is a superb alternative, especially if you dodge Aosta itself for somewhere like Cogne. The national park may well be of strong appeal.

We spent a week hiking in the Dolomites a few years ago, based in Castelrotto. I used Terry’s trip report to help me plan.

I loved the place we stayed near Castelrotto and we talk about returning. The hikes were very nice. Here is my trip report.

The place we stayed:

Hello! That’s so exciting, congratulations on booking your flights to Malpensa! Two weeks in Italy sounds amazing, and I’m sure you’ll have an incredible time.

Don’t worry too much about the planning; sometimes the best trips come together last minute. There’s so much to see and do in Italy, from the lakes near Milan to the beautiful countryside in Tuscany.

Keep exploring the posts here for ideas, and feel free to ask if you need any suggestions. Have a fantastic trip!

Hello! That’s so exciting, congratulations on booking your flights to Malpensa! Two weeks in Italy sounds amazing, and I’m sure you’ll have an incredible time.

Don’t worry too much about the planning; sometimes the best trips come together last minute. There’s so much to see and do in Italy, from the lakes near Milan to the beautiful countryside in Tuscany.

Keep exploring the posts here for ideas, and feel free to ask if you need any suggestions. Have a fantastic trip!
Thanks for replying! please read my previous trip reports, we are no strangers to last minute haha!! We are often last minute planners and adjust on the fly, seems to work well wherever we travel, cheers!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina