• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rome to Montepulciano

Michael S

Next Spring we'll be traveling from Rome to Montepulciano as part of our itinerary. The distance between to two is not that far and if we leave Rome when we have to vacate our Airbnb, we'll get to Montepulciano way too early to check in to our Airbnb there. We really don't like to sight-see while toting our luggage and such, so I'm thinking of A) hiring a private driver for the trip, who can also, B) take us to some towns/sites along the way. So my two questions are:

1) Has anyone used a private transfer service (car) to get from Rome to somewhere else, and if so, can recommend one?
2) Any interesting towns/sites to visit between Rome and Montepulciano, even if its only to have lunch and stroll around?

Thanks.

Orvieto. This is one of our favorite towns in Tuscany. We have been staying at Sant'Antonio, just outside Montepulciano for many years now. Always for a week. In fact, we leave in a couple of weeks for Sant'Antonio. Then, back again next May, spending a few days at an apartment in Venice before heading home.

We always have lunch at La Palomba in Orvieto, which is between Rome and Monteplciano, making the trip down from Montepulciano, at least two times, during our stay. You might luck out without a reservation. The owner doesn't always answer the phone, but writing in advance, or taking a chance is well worth it. Orvieto is much closer to Rome, than Montepulciano, so depending on your arrival time, might be a good stop prior to your arrival in Montepulciano.

P.S. There is a really nice Grocery Store just outside and down the street from the front gate of the walled town in Montepulciano.

Last edited:
Strong second for Orvieto! Although it definitely merits more than a quick stop, lunch and a visit to the Duomo would be perfect. I would keep trying the phone at La Paloma; it was either closed or booked solid when I was last there, so sadly, we couldn't dine there as we had hoped. If you end up driving on your own, be forewarned that driving in the center of Orvieto is a nightmare--just park in the parking garages and walk up the rest of the way.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina