• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sailing from Spain to the Canary Islands - Feedback needed!

ulysse

Hi!
I have the project to travel from France to the Canary island without taking any planes or ferry in October/november. I have no experiences about sailing but would like this opportunity to be my first one. I plan to go to the South of Spain on the Atlantic side and basically doing a boat-hitchhiking until I found a crew willing to let me join the to Spain.
My questions are the following:

• Is anyone ever done something similar and it is feasible?
  • Where would be the ideal spot to seek for a crew?
  • Any recommendations?

I have "crewed" on deliveries and Captained bareboat charters on many mono/catamarans up and down the U.S. east coast and the Caribbean. "No experience" doesn't make it impossible but could limit opportunities. Is your plan Oct/Nov this year? if you have time consider taking a basic keel boat class to learn your way around a sailboat, learn nomenclature and basic sailing skills.

Overnight passages are very different from day charters, we work watch shifts, usually 4-6 hours depending on number of crew. My longest blue water passage was 2 weeks. My friend with no experience crewed with us on that trip, he was seasick the first 4 days, but several days after that he started to catch on and was very helpful. At the end we were exhausted and my friend said it was a one and done experience for him..LOL!

There is a CruisersForum website you can google, join and start asking questions on sites like that.

I admire that you are willing to try this, good luck/fairwinds and a follow up of your experience would be appreciated!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back