• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Short trip to den Haag/Delft

SusanSeattle

100+ Posts
Before I meet up with my mom next June I am thinking of spending a few days in the Hague. I'd fly into Amsterdam and then take a train straight on. I'd like to see the Mauritshuis and Gemeentemuseum museums and do an afternoon visit to Delft. Also perhaps a visit to the Peace Palace if the timing is right.

I'd arrive on a Friday morning and take a train to Paris on Sunday afternoon.

Would love to hear any kind of recommendations for either place.

My wife and I enjoyed both Den Haag and Delft on a couple day excursion. We stayed in Den Haag and planned to do a full day in both Den Haag and Delft, but are plans changed.

We caught the train over from Amsterdam to Den Haag late in the afternoon so stayed local for dinner. In the morning got up went to Delft for the day, and loved it. Not for the educational or historical side, but more a social experience. Marriages taking place in the town square, the outdoor cafés were packed, just a beautiful spring day – the town was alive. We explored neighborhoods, chatted with people walked the canal, and just took in the entire town. We must have walked 15 miles.

Day 2 was Den Haag day. Once again, we were up early and fortified by a wonderful cup of coffee and pastry, we did a self-guided walk around the Noordeinde Palace and the surrounding park, and then to the Peace Place. There is some cool alleys and side streets in Den Haag, but does not have the charm of Delft. Probably because it is a government center.

It was outside the Peace Palace when we got the phone call that are flight was cancelled and please call United to reschedule. When I called there was something like a 3 hour wait. The reason was Eyjafjallajökull, the Icelandic Volcano. Here is the rest of the story - Stuck in Amsterdam - So if fairness we did not get to spend the time in Den Haag and do the things we wanted to do.

To answer your question, and thinking Friday after a full day and night of travel, I would recommend one or the other. If you are looking to chill and adjust your internal clock to Europe, I would say Delft. If your heart is set to take in the museums and the Peace Place, Den Haag would be my choice. I think you will cheat yourself if you try to do both. Of course… IMHO.

Thanks for posting about your experience. I think I am leaning towards staying in Den Haag and spending one afternoon/evening in Delft.

Before I meet up with my mom next June I am thinking of spending a few days in the Hague. I'd fly into Amsterdam and then take a train straight on. I'd like to see the Mauritshuis and Gemeentemuseum museums and do an afternoon visit to Delft. Also perhaps a visit to the Peace Palace if the timing is right.

I'd arrive on a Friday morning and take a train to Paris on Sunday afternoon.

Would love to hear any kind of recommendations for either place.
Don't miss the Mauritshaus in the Hague.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina