• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Sicily in November

Valerie

100+ Posts
Just curious if anyone has been to Sicily in off-season, and what's it like. My parents are coming for a visit and have expressed interest in perhaps going to Sicily, but I worry that November might not be ideal if things are closed and maybe starts a rainy period? What do you think?

We went to Sicily in April, before Easter (it was late that year) and it did not feel off season.

I loved Siracusa, the towns in that southern area around Ragusa, and those incredible Greek temples (I have info about them in the Day Trips section). We did not get to Taormina, but someone told me the cruise ship travelers have ruined it. Perhaps they won't be there in November.

@Jim Zurer wrote a detailed trip report for his recent trip.

I think it would be a good choice. You could drive there from Basilicata!

The other problem is my stepdad thinks they can "see" Sicily (all of it) in a week! o_O What do you think is a good base for a week? I'm a little non-enthusiastic, not because I don't want to see Sicily, but it's last minute and not great timing for trying to plan and put it together when I'm swamped with other stuff. Oy.

Of course you can't see Sicily in a week, but you could do a driving tour and see some of the main sites.

Here is a possible plan:

Assuming you are driving from Basilicata, and that you will spend 2 nights each in 3 locations. And that you will concentrate on eastern Sicily.

Drive to Siracusa and spend 2 nights in Ortigia, which is part of Siracusa.
Drive to Ragusa, stopping in Noto on the way. 2 nights in Ragusa. See the Val de Noto Baroque towns.
Drive to Agrigento, via Villa Casale to see the Roman mosaics. 2 nights in Agrigento. See the Valley of the temples.
Drive to Selinunte (temples) and Segesta (temple and theatre) and on to Cefalu (seaside town). Last night there and drive home.

We did an eastern Sicily trip spending 1 night in Ortigia on arrival, then a week in Scicli near Ragusa, then 2 nights in Sciacca near Selinunte. We saw the Agrigento temples on our travel day between Scicli and Sciacca, then saw Selinunte and Segesta on the same day from Sciacca. We saw Villa Casale on our travel day for a late flight from Catania.

Looking through my notes I found this B&B in Ortigia recommended by ST Marian:
L'Approdo delle Sirene.

We stayed at Hotel Livingston and it was nice. There are lots of places to choose from.

Friends of mine from Santa Fe emailed me to say they are in Taormina now and love it. They are touring all of Sicily. I asked if it is crowded with cruise ship tourists but they said it wasn't. If you wanted to have an easy week and stay in one place, that might be a good choice (not that I've been there, but I would like to go). You can tour the "Godfather" towns (from the movies), Etna, day trip to Siracusa. Probably a day trip to see the mosaics.

That might be more relaxing (it is your birthday!).

Hi Valerie,

I visited Sicily in October, 2002. Such a long time ago now, but here are some of my thoughts from that trip. I spent 5 nights in Cefalù, with an overnight trip to Agrigento from there in the middle of that stay, then went to Taormina for 3 nights, and finally Siracusa for 3 nights.

Cefalù from what I remember and rereading my notes was a relaxing seaside town. I would not go out of my way to visit Cefalù but I did enjoy my stay there. The one highlight I remember from Cefalù was climbing up to the top of La Rocca, where there were amazing views.

I took a daytrip tour to Palermo from Cefalù, which I really enjoyed. My favorite part of this tour was
going to Monreale where there were spectacular mosaics in a huge Cathedral. We also visited the Cathedral in Palermo where the outside was very detailed, we walked through a very entertaining street market, had lunch and then visited the little seaside town, Mondello, which was right outside of Palermo. I remember thinking that would be a great place to stay if I ever returned.

Because of the crazy train travel from Cefalù to Agrigento, I really did not have much time there. Very poor planning on my part! Visiting the valley of the Temples was definitely worth the trip though. I would love to go back there again.

I also thought I might not like Taormina because of all of the tourists, but was really surprised when I arrived there. It was my favorite part of my trip to Sicily. There were many relaxing piazzas. I loved the food there. I stayed at Hotel Bel Soggiorno. My room was clean, breakfasts were served on the veranda. My room had a spectacular view. I was very happy with my stay there but of course that was many years ago, so not sure if things have changed. From my notes, two of the highlights of Taormina besides the amazing cannoli were climbing up to the tiny town of Castelmola, which is perched high above Taormina and climbing up to the Santa Madonna della Rocca. The climb up to Castelmola was not an easy climb. The climb to the Santa Madonna della Rocca was easier. I also enjoyed a visit to the Teatro Greco. My friends from Italy also recommended that I visit Isola Bella and the Grotta Azzurra. They said they are both worth a visit. I might have visited these places but do not remember now/do not have it in my notes.

My last stop was Siracusa. I had a very bad experience there and so I do not have wonderful memories of Siracusa. It was the only place I have ever been in my 11 trips to Italy where I did not feel safe. BUT that was mostly because of where I stayed when I arrived there. I booked a room at Hotel Gutkowski. DO NOT stay there! I did not feel safe in that area and had a horrible experience there. I did check out the next morning and moved to a different area of Siracusa where I stayed at Hotel Roma. This hotel was very nice, but at the time for me, very expensive. Not sure where it stands regarding expense today. I do remember feeling like there were many rich people looking down at me when I stayed there. Besides hotel issues, I did enjoy Siracusa a little more after moving to a different hotel/different area of Siracusa. The main thing I remember being "wowed" with was visiting Orecchio di dioniso (Dioniso's Ear). Notes from my friend also recommended visiting the Roman ruins, the anfiteatro and the museum near the ruins.

The main thing I remember about Sicily was how different it was from anywhere else I had visited in Italy. I hope you and your parents enjoy your trip there and some of this may help... AND happy birthday!!

Thank you and apologies for not checking back sooner. I'll keep all this for next year and hopefully get there but for a variety of reasons, it didn't work out this time around. We went to Viterbo instead and explored the Etruscan zone and then a few days in Rome. But these great itineraries and insights will be used someday!

You can tour the "Godfather" towns
Pauline, I've actually never seen the movie, only clips!! :oops:

The Godfather movies are Steve's favourites. We watch them every few years!

Thanks for starting this topic. It has made me think about another trip to Sicily.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis