• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Sulmona?

Penn251

100+ Posts
We are planning our next Italy trip for Spring 2022 (so far away :(). We will be in Marche to do some walking/hiking for 10 days beginning of May 2. However, we are are arriving in Rome on April 20. We have been to Italy several times and are looking to try a place we have never been to. The current thinking is to spend some time in Abruzzo (where we definitely have never been) on the way to Marche. We will not have a car until we get to Marche, so will be relying on public transportation. There is a train to Sulmona from Rome and also from Sulmona to Civitnova Marche where we will rent a car to head to the house we will stay at outside of Tolentino. We also understand that there is decent bus service from Sulmona to other towns for day trips. What do people think about a week in Sulmona in late April? Any suggestions about what we should do while there would also be appreciated.

I am SO curious about the answer you get. We, too, have been to Italy many times and visited L'Aquila for a few days in 2008 before the big earth quake. For our trip in Spring 2022, we have reserved this place, in Sulmona:

I believe there is a 1 bedroom in the same building.
We will be there the first week in April. Looking to use the busses and rent a car in L'aquila for the last couple of days before we head north to Pesaro where we will return the car. Then--train to Bologna and on to Venice for 3 weeks.

Here is a thread from the dreaded Trip Advisor that I found interesting but I have yet to click on the links:
Thanks for the link. Will dig a little deeper into the historic train route.

When I was recently in Italy I noticed that the train schedules I've been so used to had changed quite dramatically. When I normally was able to catch a train from Termini to Orvieto, arriving an hour later, that service had been drastically cut to only a couple a day. The regional trains, however, which take forever to get anywhere, were many! And going to the airport, the regional stopped, unannounced to say it was going no further! Everyone on the train, which was 3/4 full had to get off and find another train on the schedule. Someone else I spoke with had it happen going in the other direction. Just stopped, saying end of the service when it stated from where I started it would go all the way......

Just be sure you have updated train schedules! And do have a great time regardless!

That's unfortunate about the interrupted trains. When I look at Rome-Orvieto schedules, I see that more of the trains start at Tiburtina, not Termini, whether the IC trains taking about an hour or the Regionali or RV, to one of which we connected from the airport, which have a range of time from about 1:15 to 1:45.

That's unfortunate about the interrupted trains. When I look at Rome-Orvieto schedules, I see that more of the trains start at Tiburtina, not Termini, whether the IC trains taking about an hour or the Regionali or RV, to one of which we connected from the airport, which have a range of time from about 1:15 to 1:45.
Yes, Andrew, correct. It took me nearly 4 hours to get to FCO from Orvieto! Never had that experience before. I'm going to have to rethink that leg of my travel. Driver's are charging about 300 euros, one way and I only use a local rental car so can't drive/leave the car in FCO. Oh well, it's a small issue, so I'm unwilling to worry about it.

Reactions: jan
We will be there the first week in April.

Jan, we will be there April 21 through 29. Hope we get some info from the group here, but in any event it would be good to hear about your exploits and about lessons you have learned just a couple of weeks earlier. Feel free to post them here or message me.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina