• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Queen has died, long live the King

Pauline

Forums Admin
Everyone is probably aware by now that Queen Elizabeth died on Thursday and King Charles III is now the King of England. I was wondering what this new era would be called.

King Charles I reigned from 1625 to 1649, and King Charles II, from 1660 to 1685 (there was a bit of a difficult time between them). An article I found said these were called the Carolean eras (from the Latin name for Charles, Carolus). But I’ve never heard of this. They were both in the Stuart era according to my research.

The first Queen Elizabeth (daughter of Henry VIII) was in the Tudor era and the one that just died was in the Windsor era. King Charles III will continue in the Windsor era.

We are not in England right now but it seems like many things are closing down for a 10-day mourning period. The day of the funeral will be an official holiday.

For people in the UK now, are things other than sporting events being cancelled?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina