• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The UN's best tourist villages

joe

1000+ Posts
"The United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) recently revealed its annual list of the best tourism villages across the globe, with those included in the list scoring highly on social and environmental sustainability as well as their tourism work."

UNWTO’s best tourism villages 2022​

• Zell am See, Austria
  • Wagrain, Austria
  • Puqueldón, Chile
  • Dazhai, China
  • Jingzhu, China
  • Choachí, Colombia
  • Aguarico, Ecuador
  • Angochagua, Ecuador
  • Mulu Ecovillage, Ethiopia
  • Mestia, Georgia
  • Kfar Kama, Israel
  • Sauris-Zahre, Italy
  • Isola del Giglio, Italy
  • Umm Qais, Jordan
  • Creel, Mexico
  • El Fuerte, Mexico
  • Ksar Elkhorbat, Morocco
  • Moulay Bouzerktoune, Morocco
  • Lamas, Peru
  • Raqchi, Peru
  • Castelo Novo, Portugal
  • Pyeongsa-ri, South Korea
  • Rasinari, Romania
  • Al’Ula Old Town, Saudi Arabia
  • Bohinj, Slovenia
  • Rupit, Spain
  • Alquézar, Spain
  • Guadalupe, Spain
  • Murten, Switzerland
  • Andermatt, Switzerland
  • Birgi, Türkiye
  • Thái Hải, Vietnam
The one chosen in Israel is quite unique (relevant to Israel) because it is one of two villages of the Circassian people, a relatively small minority in the country. The village chosen has a heritage center and has a distinct architectural style.

Probably the whole global list is lovely, but after this recognition it will be interesting to see if these places maintain their character.
Anyone been to any of them?

I went to Zell am See with my aunts and grandmother 65 years ago - does that count???
Well, I suppose the place has changed quite a lot - but from what I see looking at photos, it looks like it has developed in a harmonious way. Which is what is important, I would think. Certainly not all villages can state that.
Here's what the official UNWTO website had to say about it :

Here in Israel the second candidate that was short-listed is actually very close to where I live. They got accepted for "Upgrade" status, which probably means that they will receive full recognition in the near future. If they are an example of what the UNWTO is looking for, then I can (humbly) vouch for the process and can believe that the villages on the list are indeed worthy, and should be recognized. The criteria go beyond just being a "lovely rural place for tourists" :
"Recognizes villages that are an outstanding example of a rural tourism destination with accredited cultural and natural assets, that preserve and promote rural and community-based values, products, and lifestyle and have a clear commitment to innovation and sustainability in all its aspects – economic, social and environmental."
Perhaps the fact that many of these villages were not known as "destinations" proves that their efforts are not only superficial.

This is the second year of this initiative. The villages that received recognition in 2021 :

List of Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO 2021:

• Bekhovo, Russian Federation
  • Bkassine, Lebanon
  • Bojo, Philippineshe
  • Caspalá, Argentina
  • Castelo Rodrigo, Portugal
  • Cuetzalan del Progreso, Mexico
  • Cumeada, Portugal
  • Gruyères, Switzerland
  • Batu Puteh , Malaysia
  • Kaunertal, Austria
  • Le Morne, Mauritius
  • Lekunberri, Spain
  • Maní, Mexico
  • Misfat Al Abriyeen, Oman
  • Miyama, Japan
  • Mokra Gora, Serbia
  • Morella, Spain
  • Mustafapaşa, Turkey
  • Nglanggeran, Indonesia
  • Niseko, Japan
  • Nkotsi Village, Rwanda
  • Old Grand Port, Mauritius
  • Olergesailie, Kenya
  • Ollantaytambo, Peru
  • Pano Lefkara, Cyprus
  • Pica, Chile
  • Pochampally, India
  • Puerto Williams, Chile
  • Radovljica, Slovenia
  • Rijal Alma'a, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Testo Alto, Brazil
  • Saas Fee, Switzerland
  • San Cosme y Damián, Paraguay
  • San Ginesio, Italy
  • Sidi Kaouki, Morocco
  • Solčava, Slovenia
  • Soufli, Greece
  • Taraklı, Turkey
  • The Purple Island, Republic of Korea
  • Ungok Village, Republic of Korea
  • Valposchiavo, Switzerland
  • Wonchi, Ethiopia
  • Xidi, China
  • Yucun, China

Andermatt, Switzerland
Andermatt is the only place from the list that I’ve been to. It is a strange choice when you think of all the incredible villages in Switzerland. This is the town at the northern entrance to the Gottard Tunnel through the Alps.

Gruyères from the 2021 list, also in Switzerland, is too touristy already. We were there several years ago. Saas Fee from that 2021 list is a good choice.

No UK villages on that list? Or Ireland? Or France?

I'm wondering if this list is like that of Les plus beaux villages de France? Many villages that never appear on the list are often as pretty/nice if not prettier/nicer than some of those on it....

I must admit I feel uneasy about the concept. Not the recognition per se, as many of us would applaud the criteria and those villages that have decided such things matter to them.

My concerns are that mass recognition can lead to a level of tourism that risks ruining what was recognised as special in the first place.

Andermatt is the only place from the list that I’ve been to. It is a strange choice when you think of all the incredible villages in Switzerland.

No UK villages on that list? Or Ireland? Or France?
I'm wondering if this list is like that of Les plus beaux villages de France? Many villages that never appear on the list are often as pretty/nice if not prettier/nicer than some of those on it....
I think that's the whole point : the places have to be more than just a scenic sight. They have to show how their local economy, culture, society and scenic beauty are being safeguarded, while also looking forward in a sustainable manner - using tourism as an additional tool to promote these goals (but of course taking into account carrying capacity, etc.). Since this initiative is only two years old, I suppose that it's too early to pass judgement. Things certainly could backfire or just succumb to various pressures. Personally I think I would be inclined to put a place with recognition like this on an itinerary of mine, if it was in the area I would be traveling through, as these kinds of efforts interest me.
As to why not all countries are represented in the lists - it might be because not all countries are members of the UN Tourism Organisation.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina