• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Tips for planning my trip to Thailand

PellegrinoVinci

Hello to you all,

I already have a list of destinations I'd like to visit: Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Krabi.

I'm looking for some cool tips from people you have already been there that could be useful during my trip. Anything is well received and appreciated, thanks!

As it seems Thailand is not very popular around here, well after all, it is Slow Europe hahaha and the answers might be kind of slow (bad dum tss). Anyways, I've been researching more on my own, and I'm hooked with Ang Thong Marine Park, Koh Samui and the islands that surround it.

What is a good company for a tour to the Marine Park and around the islands? As I want to start planning it all as soon as possible, I've already picked a possible option, which is Boutique Yachting {link removed by admin}.

What other options would you recommend? I'm open to more suggestions, because I want to compare and get the best value in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
i live in Chiang Mai since 2012.

First of all you are biting off way more than you can chew. Bangkok alone is huge beyond anyhing you would be familiar with including NYC. Asian megacities are a whole different creature. The land mass of LA with 5 times the population in skyscrapers that go on for miles!. There is no such thing as a centrally located hotel to tourist attractions. Floating market 50 miles outside town. Ayuthaya 3 hours by tour bus. Even the big tourist temples are 30 minutes apart. and you are bat crazy to think that as a westerner you can drive safely here. We're #1 in the world in traffic fatalities. If you are in an accident its your fault. period. full stop. the buddhist thing. if you had been where you "belong" aka your country of origin you would not have been in the accident... hence it is your fault. Figure 1 and possibly 2 tourist attractions a day in Bangkok.

Cut half your destinations out. Phuket and Pattaya are college kid party destinations or looking for love in all the wrong places with little charm. koh samui is probably the best of your options. koh lak is better if you want skin diving. For a better nature experience www.paddleasia.com kayak tours. The brit who helped rescue the kids in the cave runs a first class dive operation. google brirish diver wild boars rescue.

Chiang mai is lovely, historic with a UNESCO art city designation. Elephant Nature Park is the gold standard in elephant care and has WWF certification. Please if you have any compassion at all for these highly intelligent, fanily bonded animals do NOT go to a park where you ride them. google elephant pressing.
To have any meaningful time at all in any of your destinations you are looking at 2 weeks minimum and 3 realistically.

When do you plan on going ?
That is important if you want to avoid travelling in certain areas during the rainy season.
and how long do you intent to stay ? What's is more interesting to you ? (Culture, Spectacular beaches, diving, hill tribes )?

I'm planning to do it in February, 2019. I'd like to start with Bangkok. I've already figured out many things, but one thing where I still have doubts is in regards to nightlife. There are many venues, sure, but I'm not a fan of wild nightlife, if you understand me. I prefer something like gastro-pubs with live music, that's my kind of entertainment. Any places you could recommend?

Lived in Bangkok for 12 years and my wife is from there. Agree with Rome Addict that you should avoid Pattaya. In Bangkok, stay near the skytrain. The traffic in Bangkok is horrible. I have sat in traffic for an hour to go 2 miles. You can take the skytrain to Taksin station and then the ferry to both the palace and Watt Po. Also, Watt Arun. Depending on how much time you have, grab an Air Asia flight to Siem Reap and visit Angkor Watt. Better than any cultural or historic sights in Thailand

Pubs with live music are scattered throughout Bangkok. One place to look at is Brown Sugar

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina