• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Top 10 for Reykjavik!

Colleen

10+ Posts
To inaugurate this forum, here are 10 of my favorite things from my November trip to Iceland:

10. Walking and exploring the very pretty and easy to navigate city of Reykjavik
9. Sitting in cozy coffee shops and watching the snow on the other side of the windows.
8. The Settlement Museum with its recreated Viking longhouse and interactive displays.
7. Avant-garde concert at the stunning Harpa Concert Hall. Ask me sometime about the next-to-last musical segment. :D
6. Expansive views of the city and water from the bell tower of Hallgrimskirkja church.
5. Suncraft sculpture on the waterfront. It is AMAZING and so perfect for the location.
4. "Taking the waters" at The Blue Lagoon. Nothing like 30 degree weather to make you appreciate a geothermal spa!
3. Hearing the organist practicing at Hallgrimskirkja - it was magical to walk into the vast space and feel the music!
2. The Golden Circle tour to: Gullfoss (Golden Falls), pingvellier National Park to see the (growing) rift between the North American and European plates, the original Geysir, cute Icelandic horses, the historic cathedral at Skalholt with a list of bishops going back 1,000 years and gorgeous modern stained glass.
1. Icelanders. I've never met such warm and friendly people in my travels! The Irish came close, but Icelanders nudge them out of my top spot by just a hair. :)

Harpa Concert Hall at night - loved the architecture!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 40
Thanks Colleen! I followed your Facebook posts when you were in Iceland and loved the photos. I love the architecture in the northern countries and wonder why we don't have more interesting modern buildings in England. Here new builds imitate old stone buildings, but it ends up looking ugly in many cases.

As a fellow traveler, I'll just add "Enjoying #1-10 with Colleen." And at the risk of breaking the mood, my least favorite and highly unrecommended was unsuccessfully chasing the Northern Lights with a herd of others on the tour included in our package.

ha! I'd blocked that miserable Northern Lights tour from my memory! 1a would be traveling with cubbies. :)

cubbies and I traveled via a "Northern Lights" special offered by Travelzoo.com. Included was round trip airfare SFO-KEF, airport transfers, hotel, and a group tour to hunt for the aurora borealis. We split our nights between Radisson Blu 1919 and Radisson Blu Saga; the 1919 was our favorite. The location is much more central, it was smaller and we felt the staff was friendlier. The Saga is in the University district with not much around it - we couldn't even find a coffee shop! Although we saw plenty of business types at the 1919, the Saga felt more like a corporate hotel.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina