• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Traveling for a year or so

Knowmad

Hi. I am Todd. Taking my wife, daughter, and 2 of my grandchildren ( 9 & 10) to see the world. July was Scotland. August is Ireland. Then off to France, Italy, South Africa, Portugal, Costa Rica, and Panama. May go back to the US or just stay somewhere. I hope to learn a lot from you folks.

Welcome Todd!
Looks like you have a great adventure ahead of you....how has it gone so far? Any tips for us grandads that are considering taking their grandchildren abroad at some point?

Depends on the age of the kids, I guess. I am still learning. Mine are a boy 9 and a girl that just turned 11. Remote or homeschooling while away takes the most planning. Also their height and weight will determine what pack they can carry. Wifi at your stays is critical but bring along a couple books to read too. Allow them to take pictures. It will give a sense of ownership and you will learn what interests them.

Thanks Todd, lovely advice!
I especially liked your idea about allowing them to take pictures. Would you suggest doing this with a phone or a real camera (we're talking about kids the age of your grandchildren)?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina