• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Transportation Trenitalia CartaFreccia: Senior and Youth discounts available from abroad

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
As I try to keep informed on matters with Italian trains, my understanding has been that the Senior and Young discounted fares on Trenitalia were not available to non-residents of Italy, first because a card needed to be sent to an Italian address, and then even if people had an address to receive it, the request form required Italian document numbers beyond the Codice Fiscale, which can be generated from a program.

Now I've happened upon a discussion in the Rick Steves forum https://community.ricksteves.com/tr...count-train-tickets-on-trenitalia-for-seniors showing a way of getting it: at https://www.trenitalia.com/it/cartafreccia/assistenza_ai_soci.html#6 even if the page is in Italian expand the last point where in English it gives a link to a form that you can print, fill out, and scan as an email attachment to apply for a CartaFreccia that you can receive by email: the form https://www.trenitalia.com/content/...CCIA/Modulo_CartaFRECCIA_residenti_estero.pdf . Note that only the starred fields need to be completed: if born in the USA I entered in country of birth Stati Uniti d'America; for the province code some in that discussion say to use your 2-letter state code, but I spelled out Estero. For date of birth I used the European DD/MM/YYYY format.

They say to allow 45 days to receive a member number, so start this early if you're thinking of booking a train where this could be useful. The Senior (over 60) or Young (under 30) fares are typically comparable to the Super Economy fares but are more like Economy in restrictions, allowing one change of booking with an upgrade to the Base (full) fare. I've applied and will see when I get a response: the key point is to fill out the paper rather than online form if a non-Italian resident.

I applied for this online...not paper...and got an email back with the info in about a week.
I didn't end up using it for my trip last Fall, as the trains we took were just Regionale ones with no discounts.
I can see that it would be useful for long reserved journeys.

I'm getting ready to do this, and now I'm wondering if I need to complete the form for each of us, since we'll need 2 tickets. Does anyone know if I'll be able to apply for one senior discount card, then use it to buy 2 tickets?

Barb,
I did a test purchase on the website. When you choose "senior" with two tickets,it asks for a "loyalty code" (carta freccia number) for each person. So it appears you'll each need to apply.

Yes, and potentially people could be asked to show their cards with the ticket inspection. You would print out an emailed card or put the number on your profile on the Trenitalia app.

I have had a cartafreccia and used the Trenitalia app for more than 5 years. I had not used the trains during the pandemic but previously the app helped me more than once when I missed a train connection and I could rebook on the app asap.

I just took a frecciarossa, booked senior rate :confused: in business class and was able to use the app to confirm my presence on the train (nobody came around to ask for my ticket afterwards). I also used the app to show my ticket on the intercity connection - no paper needed.

Highly recommend the app if you are traveling by train, I believe it works in multiple languages.

After sending the form on Feb. 22, I got my account number in an email today, March 16. It was sent in the wee hours for me, and I missed the 3-hour window to reset the password, so I needed to follow another link to get that done.

Thank you, Andrew. With your helpful info, I was able to get my online CartaFreccia in a few weeks!
As I try to keep informed on matters with Italian trains, my understanding has been that the Senior and Young discounted fares on Trenitalia were not available to non-residents of Italy, first because a card needed to be sent to an Italian address, and then even if people had an address to receive it, the request form required Italian document numbers beyond the Codice Fiscale, which can be generated from a program.

Now I've happened upon a discussion in the Rick Steves forum https://community.ricksteves.com/tr...count-train-tickets-on-trenitalia-for-seniors showing a way of getting it: at https://www.trenitalia.com/it/cartafreccia/assistenza_ai_soci.html#6 even if the page is in Italian expand the last point where in English it gives a link to a form that you can print, fill out, and scan as an email attachment to apply for a CartaFreccia that you can receive by email: the form https://www.trenitalia.com/content/...CCIA/Modulo_CartaFRECCIA_residenti_estero.pdf . Note that only the starred fields need to be completed: if born in the USA I entered in country of birth Stati Uniti d'America; for the province code some in that discussion say to use your 2-letter state code, but I spelled out Estero. For date of birth I used the European DD/MM/YYYY format.

They say to allow 45 days to receive a member number, so start this early if you're thinking of booking a train where this could be useful. The Senior (over 60) or Young (under 30) fares are typically comparable to the Super Economy fares but are more like Economy in restrictions, allowing one change of booking with an upgrade to the Base (full) fare. I've applied and will see when I get a response: the key point is to fill out the paper rather than online form if a non-Italian resident

Thank you Andrew for this useful information.

Readers should also note that it is possible to find discounted fares for the Trenitalia fast trains without using these loyalty cards. Specifically, the Trenitalia Freccia Days fare can yield a 75% discount over the Base fare, with an advance purchase of no less than six days and travel mid week. Additionally, Trenitalia periodically advertises an additional 20% discount over its Freccia Days, Speciale Frecce and Super Economy fares, which raises the total discount to 80%. For example, the Base fare of 103 Euros in second class from Milan to Naples on the Freccia train can be lowered to 20.70 Euros. These additional periodic promotions are advertised on the Trenitalia website with strict deadlines for purchase and specific time parameters for travel. You must also enter the advertised special promotion code when buying the ticket online.

These special promotional fares are offered on Freccia trains but not Intercity trains. They may not necessarily coincide with your travel requirements. Nevertheless, keep this in mind when researching the lowest Trenitalia fares for the Freccia trains.

And don't forget to add the partial refund option called "tiRimborso" when buying the discounted tickets, which gives you a 90% refund if you cancel the trip for any reason no later than 23.59 Italy time two days prior to travel. This option costs only 2 Euros, which is a small fraction of the discounted ticket cost, and consequently a good deal which preserves travel flexibility in many circumstances (although not for last-minute cancelations).

Last edited:
First time on a train in Italy

Does the senior discount limit you to a certain seating class ?

Thank you

Traveling mainly in april

Rome to Venice to Florence to Naples to Salerno and back to Rome

For the longer trips should I pay extra for better seat?

If we have a carry on size suitcase, do we carry it on the train and will it fit between the seats? If larger suitcase will that fit between the seats?

I am getting lost on the tickets, I do not see my travel dates changing, but not sure which tickets are refundable or exchangeable?

Any other information is welcome

Related question,,,, where should I get euros and how???
My wife had Bank of America debit card,,, they want to charge transaction fee

I have a credit union debit card and still trying to get the bank to give me an answer if I can use it in Italy ?

I take it I should wait till I get to Italy to get euros?? Should I get some at the airport on arrival??

Thank you for helping the lost

You don't need to pay more for first/business class on the Italian trains. Second class/Standard class/Smart Class is fine for most people (Trenitalia and Italo Treno use different names for second class but it's the same regardless). The difference is that you get a few centimeters more seat/shoulder/leg room in first/business class. Bear in mind that second/standard/smart class is more comfortable than economy seats on transatlantic flights.

Most carry-on suitcases or backpacks will fit in the overhead racks or can be wedged in-between seat rows (on Trenitalia trains). Larger suitcases can be placed in the oversized luggage racks at the end of each railcar. Smallish suitcases can even fit under the seat. Try to pack light and to use a smaller suitcase, because you will need to personally haul it on and off each train you take.

If your travel plans are nearly set in stone, you can save LOTS and LOTS of money (up to 80%) by purchasing tickets for the fast reserved trains in advance. These are the Trenitalia Freccia and Intercity trains, and all Italo trains. (There are no cost savings for an advance purchase on the unreserved Trenitalia regionale trains, which are essentially commuter trains). For travel in April, book immediately to get the lowest fares. Fares will only increase as the travel date approaches.

Virtually all DISCOUNTED train tickets are non-refundable, and many are also non-changeable. HOWEVER, you can transform these tickets into PARTIALLY REFUNDABLE tickets by purchasing the Trenitalia "tiRimborso" option for an additional 2 Euros per ticket (Italo Treno calls it the "Opzione Rimborso"). This will give you a 90% refund on Trenitalia or an 80% refund on Italo Treno as long as you respect the CANCELLATION DEADLINE, which is 23:59 (Italy time) two days prior to the travel date (for Trenitalia) and 72 hours prior to the travel date (for Italo Treno). These partial refund options must be purchased simultaneously with the ticket purchase (not afterwards). The partial refund is usually given as a credit to your credit card. However, the refund is given in the form of a travel voucher for future train travel valid for 12 months in the case of a Trenitalia ticket purchased at the Freccia Days or Speciale Frecce fare. (these two discounted fares are among the cheapest offered by Trenitalia for the Freccia trains).

TAKE NOTE that the partial refund option gives no protection for last-minute cancellations. Nevertheless, it is a smart feature to acquire when buying train tickets far in advance, as travel plans could always change. This way, you get the benefit of a very low train fare and still retain some flexibility to cancel the ticket and get a partial refund if your plans change.

As for getting Euros in Italy, the best way is with an ATM card. Many banks will not charge a percentage-calculated transaction fee, though some may. You need to inquire and use an ATM card which does not charge you a percentage fee (you may still need to pay a fixed fee of a few dollars for each withdrawal). The worst way to exchange Euros is at the exchange booths which swap dollars for Euros: you'll get a bad exchange rate.

Make sure that your ATM or debit card is programmed for use in Italy. Not all are.

It's a smart idea to have a small amount of Euros in hand when you arrive at the airport (I'd say about 100 Euros). Otherwise, there are ATM machines at the airport which MAY accept your ATM card, or you can try to pay for any immediate needs (coffee/beverage/sandwich/pastry, etc.) with a debit or credit card.

Thank you for all the help

I started watching YouTube train travel videos. Got some pointers

Down loaded both company apps

Been running travel scenarios to see prices. Trying to learn the Italian station names to enter.
And I guess I need to right down the English translation so I can read the arrival/ departure boards

Know any bank debit that does not charge a per cantage?

We have a Chas. Schwab checking account that we pretty much just use for travel. Schwab does not charge ATM fees and will reimburse any fees charged by the bank/ATM from which you withdraw. Before we leave the US we make an EFT to the Schwab account from our regular bank. I don't know if it is still the case for most ATMs in Italy, but you will need a four digit PIN. We always use bank ATMs rather than the ones at airports or various stores (tabacs, etc.) There's less of a chance for skimming your card and if using the ATM on the street doesn't feel right, you can always go into the bank to feel more secure. If given a choice on the ATM screen, DO NOT use "dynamic currency conversion." You'll get an inferior exchange rate. Just enter the euro (not dollar) amount you want to get the better exchange rate.

Reactions: Cda

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina