• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Two nights and one full day in London!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
Yes, I surprise myself sometimes! We're taking a transatlantic cruise in April, ending in London, and we'll have one evening there, followed by another full day/night. I've been to London many times, and never tire of it. I know I won't want to take the organized group tour of London that's been offered. I'm more than happy to head out on my own, but figuring out exactly what to do is challenging!

Last time we were heading to London someone here recommended a great play, so if anyone can tell me what's playing in London right now I'm all ears. We arrive late afternoon on April 23, then have all day on April 24, before flying out on the 25th, so I guess we could see two plays!

It's hard for me to stay away from The Tower, as many times as I've been there, but it's just magical to me! Unless there's some sort of special exhibit I don't want to spend hours indoors at the British Museum or the V&A, but weather could dictate! Last time we were there we had lunch in the Walkie Talkie building, looking out over both The Tower and The Shard! Maybe I should search out some walking tours?

I welcome your input on this, the very opposite of Slow Travel.

If Hamilton is still playing at the Victoria Palace Theatre...and if you have not seen that play...I highly recommend it. The theater is one of my favorites in London and the play was very enjoyable.

I was thinking about the new play by the people who did The Play That Goes Wrong, called The Comedy About A Bank Robbery, and is playing at the Criterion. I know it would be hilarious, but I really want to see Hamilton and this might be my last chance for a while - it's already come through both Tampa and Louisville.

Is the Victoria Palace the theater where Starlight Express played for years?

The good thing about seeing Hamilton in London is that the ticket prices there were lower than in NYC, Detroit, or Cleveland. And the theater is so lovely.
We saw Starlight Express in London in the early Fall, 1999...the first time we ever attended the theater in London. I am pretty sure it played at the Apollo Victoria Theater (vs the The Victoria Palace) where I believe Wicked might now be playing. We so enjoyed it...the theatrics and music of Andrew Lloyd Webber were wonderful.
I do not know about the other play you mentioned, but it sounds intriguing! We will be back in the UK (Oxford) for Christmas this year, so we may check that one out if we spend any time in London.

Last edited:
If The Comedy About A Bank Robbery is half as funny as The Play That Goes Wrong you'll be rolling on the floor. The man sitting in front of us had seen it several times - you need to see it more than once to hear every word - we missed a lot of the jokes because of the laughter! Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Wonderful! I know you will enjoy Hamilton! I was so surprised at the ticket prices...I was thinking they would be more expensive in London, not less.
Thanks for the tip about the comedy...it sounds like something we would also really enjoy.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina