• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Validating tickets for Italian trains.

I normally spend a few months in Italy each year, and while I occasionally have a car, I do most of my intercity travel on trains. I'm often on an Italian train 2 or 3 times a week. I have run into a lot of tourists at train stations who were confused by the rules for validating a train ticket, when you need to validate, and what to do if there is a problem. So I made a video about the subject. If you're interested, it's at
View: https://youtu.be/8c-un3VCSeU
. Thank you everyone who has helped me figure out other nuances of European travel.

Dave
Parttime Expat.

Having just returned from Friuli Venezia Giulia, I'll offer a brief comment re: regional trains and non-digital ticketing. I found that tickets purchased at the biglietteria or at a Trenitalia machine have two aspects new to me:

1. They are valid ONLY for a 4-hour window. You can choose your departure and then if necessary take a slightly later train within that window.
2. These do NOT require validation. Two FS employees, independently, told me that. One added, if you bought a ticket at a Tabacchi, you do need to validate (this aspect I can't confirm).

Of course your mileage may vary. I agree with OP that any, any ticket with a seat reservation does not need to be validated.

Quick follow-up, a Regional ticket in the form you get at biglietteria or FS ticket machine in station. Chosen train is circled below but I believe ticket is valid for any regional train with departure time <= 4 hours from the departure chosen. Now don't ask me why the ticket blanks still direct you to CONVALIDARE SUL RETRO. We did that at least once, belt-and-suspenders.

Capture.JPG

An important clarification:

If the Trenitalia regional ticket in paper format gives a specific train departure time, it is valid for that train and later regional trains to the same destination departing within four hours. You may NOT board an earlier regionale train.

If the Trenitalia regional ticket in paper format does NOT give a specific train departure time, it is valid on any regionale train to the stated destination city departing until 23.59 that same day. You must validate this ticket.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina