• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Vichy?

Pauline

Forums Admin
We are driving to Switzerland soon to spend 3 weeks in Lenk, our usual September trip. We take the tunnel, drive across northern France, then south parallel to the German border staying in Arras and Colmar along the way. This is our usual route.

I am looking at a different route driving home, perhaps spending a week in the spa town Vichy, then driving into Normandy and taking the ferry from Caen to Portsmouth.

Any advice about Vichy? I am looking for a small town with some easy walking in the area. Vichy seems to be a popular spa town like Vittel where we spent a week in June. It also has in interesting history.

I’ve done some research today.

Vichy population is 25,000.
Vichy is one of the UNESCO Great Spa Towns of Europe (along with Bath, UK and Montecatini, Italy and Baden-Baden, Germany).
Vichy was the capital of the French State, the unoccupied part of France, during WWII but they collaborated with the Nazis.
The Ancient Romans used the natural springs in Vichy.
One of the springs in Vichy is naturally carbonated.

Instead of reading a history book about Vichy and its place in WWII, I downloaded Georges Simenon “Maigret in Vichy” written in 1968. It’s a start.

We have not been to Vichy, but in 2023 we stayed about 45 kms away in the Loire department. From there we visited a couple of places such as Lapalisse, Chatel Montagne, Saint Pourcain sur Sioule which are all around 20-25 kms from Vichy.

I am not sure how much sight seeing you do , or if you mainly go walking. We do go for short walks but we also like to visit the small towns and villages, some of the natural features in the areas we visit. For example, I have found a route of painted churches of the Bourbonnais, which are in small villages. The Allier itself is fairly rural. Next year we are returning to the Allier and staying in the other direction about 35 kms from Vichy. I will be interested to hear your impressions if you do decide to stay there. We have not decided yet whether we will go into Vichy one day for a look. We will be closer to the Gorges of the Sioule and places such as Charroux which is Plus Beau village.

Have fun.

For this trip I am thinking just 5 nights to explore the local area and go walking. You are right, we mostly do walking now but as my health improves I hope to get back to more exploring. The painted churches sound interesting. Do you have a link for more information or are details in your trip report?

We have not been there yet. We are planning for next year. I cannot find the one I had a few years ago when we had to cancel because of covid, but I have this one.
We enjoy quiet areas like this.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis