• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Berner Oberland Wengen and Luzern

The Alps in Switzerland in the Bern Canton.

cindyldoe

10+ Posts
I am the world's worst at writing Trip reports, I apologize in advance. :)

After a 4 year delay for covid, we finally took that return trip to the Berner Oberland. Last trip we stayed in Murren, this time Wengen.
Our travel dates were September 28 through Oct. 5th.

We are Delta loyalist as a rule, not high tier priority but enough that we can try not to fly economy. Our bodies are getting too old for that. Turns out that
Delta doesn't have a huge presence in Switzerland so we opted for Swiss Air. Everyone said we would love them, we did not. { The hardware not the staff, staff was amazing) The seats in main were so cramped.
Our flight from Boston was direct and only 7 and a half hours, but it was a miserable 7 and 1/2 hours. Upgrades were ridiculous and out of our range. Will dig deeper next time.
Hotel in Wengen was the Alpenrose, https://www.alpenrose.ch. This place was a dream, everything we hoped for and so much more.
It comes highly recommended, and it did not disappoint. It's a 10 minute walk from town, I thought we might like to be in the center, but I was wrong, because we were in the perfect place.
I'll see if I remember how to post a few pictures, then add more to my report tomorrow.

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The breakfast at Alpenrose is so vast and included in our room rate. Half board is 20 CHF per person, so worth it. 4 courses, meat and a vegetarian option. I'm vegan and they were very accommodating.
This is our second trip to this region, so you would think we'd have the swiss travel passes figured out, we do not. We opted for the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass as we were traveling back and forth to Zurich airport and also to Lucerne, and this covered a lot of that. Next time I think I'd go with a regional pass and the half fare card.
Our first hike was going to be the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike. https://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/kleine-scheidegg/ We took the cable car up, just 5 or 10 minutes, paid 50% off as this was covered by the Swiss Pass, plus an extra 5 CHF to ride on the open-air top. A regional pass such as the Berner Oberland pass would have covered it.
There had been a light dusting of snow the night before and it was gorgeous! But, not that cold. It is such a beautiful trail, winding around the mountains, nothing too steep, maybe 2 or 3 miles. Near the end is a restaurant for food and drinks. We then took the train down to Wengen.

Attachments

• IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3144.jpg
    IMG_3144.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back