• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What Tech do you travel to Europe with?

I added GPS to my list. I always bring it. In France it is great but in these Italian hill towns it is not great. I have not used it much in Tuscany. Yesterday it told me 1hr 15min from Bagno Vignoni to Montifellonico but I did not believe it. It was 30 mins! And in Orvieto I had to turn it off, it could never figure out where we were.

We'll be using GPS for the first time in Italy. We probably won't need it much in Umbria and Tuscany, but it will be nice for less-familiar places - IF it works! I printed out a bunch of Google maps/directions to our hotels and apartments , just in case, and I have a paper map. The unit was a freebie with our AutoEurope rental, but it's an older unit, so I'm not sure how updated the maps will be.

I bring my iPhone, which I sometimes use for voice and text, but try to limit data to wifi areas. I load local apps for cities that have offline maps and other helpful information. I have Skype mobil on my phone, which allows me to call any phone anywhere if I am in a wifi area. I have used it to call Verizon to problem solve Verizon issues on more than one occasion. Skype mobil is so cheap I use it without guilt! I also use my phone for photos, which transfer via the Cloud to my MacBook Air. I use my phone for the rare times when I need to have an alarm, so I no longer bring a travel alarm. I charge my phone piggybacked to my MacAir, so I don't need a power strip.

I travelled to Morocco with my Google Nexus tablet, which I love, but it does have its quirks! I use it for all my travel docs, programmes, timetables, books and music, as well as keeping in touch via email and browsing the web. Using it as a reader was the best thing, as I read a lot on holidays and it meant I could just about give hard copy books a miss - did sneak one or two in, though.

In an attempt to travel lighter, I've abandoned my Bose noise cancelling headphones, and use Sony noise cancelling ear buds, which are almost as good, weigh nothing, and take up no space. I have an iPod for music, especially on the plane, and an unlocked phone - for local SIM.

I have a digital SLR camera which weighs a bit, but the pictures are better than the phone. A friend has a wonderful new compact camera which I may investigate for next trip.

When we were in Italy, the GPS was wonderful, but I don't usually take it. I have no use for alarm clocks - I wake up naturally early.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina