• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What to worry about when traveling in Europe now

Pauline

Forums Admin
I know that Americans currently cannot travel to most European countries, but that will change. Brits currently can travel in most European countries.

This is what I worry about for traveling in Europe now (traveling from the UK):

1. One or both of us will get Covid 19 while traveling because we are around more people. And we will be sick but not at home.

2. While traveling a second wave or local outbreaks happen causing countries to shut their borders. In that case we would probably be able to get back to the UK easily enough.

3. That locals in the place we go to are not happy to have us there, thinking tourists bring in the virus. Our car will place is as Brits and England has not done very well with controlling the virus. Our accents will place us as Americans and they are not doing well either. (Steve suggested we claim our Canadian status because everyone loves Canadians these days and we are originally Canadian.)

What thoughts are going through your heads these days as you think about future travel?

What thoughts are going through your heads these days as you think about future travel?

Mainly I am thinking that at some point we will want to travel in the "new normal", once risks have come down from their present state. That means that things that we might have thought of as almost inconceivable - like strolling in a city wearing masks, or flying like this - will be put back on the "bearable" list. Of course we will have to mostly forget about going to crowded markets and local fairs/events, which is really unfortunate for us, as these were some of our main pastimes while vacationing. And even this cautious travel will only be able to take place after daily rates of infections go down drastically. I believe that even with the fact that going to crowded places will be crossed off the list of things we will allow ourselves, we will find enough reasons to enjoy being abroad. Visiting small producers, going to small local stores, driving and walking in the beautiful countryside, talking with our hosts, and preparing meals with local products - all this is quite fulfilling.
In our case, we will probably not consider getting vaccinated, even if something supposedly efficient appears.

I have been in contact with almost all of our usual hosts in Italy - all of them are wishing for the return of tourists, as the domestic accommodation market apparently is not enough for them. I suppose that there are others in Italy who are happy to get a respite from over-tourism.

To reply to your thoughts Pauline:
1. If you only do the same things you would normally do at home: distance, wear a mask as necessary, hand sanitize there's no particular reason you should get Covid-19. There's always a risk of some sort of illness or bug striking when traveling but ironically the precautions you take to avoid Covid-19 also protect you from other nasties. It's highly unlikely with all these precautions that you would both get suddenly seriously ill at the same time. Cutting short your holiday getting in your car and driving home at short notice (if one of you starts to feel unwell, presuming you both drive) is always your reserve option as it would be for question 2....
You say you'll be 'around other people more' but I imagine not visiting people in their own homes. Read up on the Internet about various situations in which people got infected and avoid them. Eating at a restaurant outside is better than in. Or, on the way down, picnic in your hotel room....
2. The UK imposing 14day quarantine literally overnight has probably harmed the tourism industry even more. As you say though, people have generally always been allowed to travel through countries to get back to their home country ......
3. Ask your hosts what they think. Ask other forums. I posted the question on the Trip forum before going to Tuscany in June. Perhaps it also depends on how badly the place you are planning to go has been hit by Coronavirus so far. In Lombardy we had such a high incidence I can't say a few foreigners arriving now have worried people. Steve's idea is actually quite good.....I think the idea of American visitors is a lot more alarming than British.....a few Canada stickers on the car perhaps......
There's a lot of uncertainty, you can only really decide the day before you leave and then cross your fingers, but this uncertainty could continue for some time, I think a trip somewhere is bound to be positive....if you're really worried stay in France??? Nearer logistically and nearer as regards Covid situation. With great regret I've finally shelved the idea of a road trip to Spain in September/October but am keeping my fingers crossed for Gargano/Costiera Amalfitana/Rome instead .....

Last edited:
You know, the more I think about giving my opinion on "travel", the more I realize that this all depends on what you want to do when traveling. "Slow" travelers aren't a monolithic bunch. Those who rent villas or go to small agritourism places, wanting to soak in the atmosphere and live "the life", hiking, biking and cooking, are mostly concerned about the getting there and the "who else will be there" issues. Others, like my wife and I, are relentless museums, churches, restaurants, street fairs, markets type tourists and we're concerned that these aren't currently available even if we get there. For us, we have to wait for the "old normal" to reassert itself in good part (if it ever does) or we might as well stay home in NYC where we get to shop in ethnic stores, get stuff we want delivered, eat at our favorite places (outdoors) and play (cautious) tennis. And avoid airports.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina