• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

When should we arrive at Florence airport for flight to Munich?

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
Hi, on Nov. 10th I'll be heading back to Boston via Munich. Our flight leaves Florence at 13:05. when should we get to the airport in Florence?
Thank you in advance,

Mindy (Pokey)

Mindy, having flown out of Florence a few times, I would suggest getting there at least two and a half hours before your flight.
I flew out of there three weeks ago...my flight was due to leave at 08:30 for Amsterdam.
There was one check in agent for three flights KLM/Air France/Delta, and a huge lineup of annoyed people.
This had been the case on other flights from there in the past.
Eventually another couple of agents sauntered in, chatted with their colleagues, and eventually opened their desks.
I did make my flight, so did my checked bag, but no time for a last coffee before boarding!
If you have carryon only, you can, I believe, use a machine in the area to check in.
And, as always, check in online 24 hours before.
It's never been the most efficient airport in my experience!

If you're going by tram to the airport...now that IS efficient!
Buy your ticket ahead of time in a Tabaccheria shop...same price as local bus tickets.
People were having trouble with the ticket machines at the tram stops, both to and from the airport.
Have a wonderful time in Italy...where are you going this time?

We found flights to be completely unpredictable on our last trip in late May/early June. For example, our return flight from Bologna to Amsterdam was delayed over 4 hours because of issues in Amsterdam and, even though we had built in plenty of time between flights, we made our connection only because the departure was delayed as well. Allow plenty of time; you just can't tell what will happen these days.

Mindy,
Our home is an hours drive from Firenze airport and we normally arrive 3 hrs in advance when flying out of there as we never know if check in is efficient and super fast or a disaster which seems the case since Covid. We’ve been to driving to and from Rome FCO where it seems more organized.
We were almost flying into Boston from FCO but opted for Atlanta closer to home. What’s Boston’s airport customs like? Easy ?

Mindy,
Our home is an hours drive from Firenze airport and we normally arrive 3 hrs in advance when flying out of there as we never know if check in is efficient and super fast or a disaster which seems the case since Covid. We’ve been to driving to and from Rome FCO where it seems more organized.
We were almost flying into Boston from FCO but opted for Atlanta closer to home. What’s Boston’s airport customs like? Easy ?
much easier compared to Chicago that's for sure. but it all depends on if you have Global Entry and how many other international flights arrive at the same time. Since Boston is home for me I much prefer to arrive there from Europe.

We do have global entry so will keep Boston in mind. Atlanta is pretty fast , easy and very organized! We fly via Charlotte end of Oct , came through there in April easy as I don’t remember a negative , just miles of walking to get to next gate.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina