• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to eat in Paris?

chachalaca

100+ Posts
Alas, we are not traveling this summer, but dear friends who have overcome some giant hurdles are. They are tried and true francophones and had been traveling to France for 40+ years when the hurdles began. So, they are taking an impromptu trip in July, 10 days, Paris only. The wife speaks fluent French.

We haven't been in Paris for a couple of years, and I'm hoping those of you who've been able to travel these past two years have some suggestions. How about our local experts? AiP, are you there?

Excellent food and ambiance are required in this case. No "down and dirty" places - save those for me! This is a post-transplant, 80th birthday, living with breast cancer celebration trip all wrapped in one. We don't have to think budget-friendly or inexpensive.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
Thank you so much,
Laura

Perruche has a view that is amazing! View and food can be seen at blog

Make reservations early!
If you hang till 10 pm the Eiffel Tower starts blinking and it looks like a big sparkler.

I suggest that you take a look at the posts on the Paris board at hungryonion.org for some excellent Paris recommendations. Its where most of the knowledgable chowhound posters went when that site closed down. There are several posters, especially “parn”, who both live in Paris and understand the food scene incredibly well. A number of travelers in your friends’ situation have found great advice from him and others.
As for personal knowledge, well, we havent been to Paris in 3 years, but we’re going again for another month in late Sept - Oct, so I’ve been looking to see where we’ve been that is still there. In this regard, I’d recommend Korus in the 11e, where we had several excellent prix fixe meals with equally excellent wine pairings. I’d also recommend looking at Fulgurances, where they have a very interesting program of chefs that stay for a couple of months, serving menus that are usually highly rated. We will also probably return to Ze Kitchen Galerie, where both the lunch menu and the chef’s dinner menu are fondly remembered. All of these are ”upscale” & certainly not “down & dirty” (I have lots of those if you ever want), but none of them are anywhere near the upper strata of fanciness/cost in Paris. Great bang for the buck in very nice settings.

Alas, we are not traveling this summer, but dear friends who have overcome some giant hurdles are. They are tried and true francophones and had been traveling to France for 40+ years when the hurdles began. So, they are taking an impromptu trip in July, 10 days, Paris only. The wife speaks fluent French.

We haven't been in Paris for a couple of years, and I'm hoping those of you who've been able to travel these past two years have some suggestions. How about our local experts? AiP, are you there?

Excellent food and ambiance are required in this case. No "down and dirty" places - save those for me! This is a post-transplant, 80th birthday, living with breast cancer celebration trip all wrapped in one. We don't have to think budget-friendly or inexpensive.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
Thank you so much,
Laura
We ate at Granite which I think has one star. It was the best meal of the trip. We also ate Halle Aux Grains which has fabulous ambiance. However, the meal is a "surprise". That part was not may favorite.Beautiful restaurant, beautiful views but I am sure how I feel about the menu...

Last edited by a moderator:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina