• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Which apps do you use while traveling in Italy?

Ciao Cheryl!

Besides the Italian Menu Decoder, which I'll be using for the first time this trip, I have three other apps which are all Roma oriented. I use Katie Parla's Rome app most often ~ love her recommendations and map ~ but I also use and like Elizabeth Minchilli's Eat Rome app. Both of these apps have been useful when I'm in a neighborhood and can't deside where to eat... I've had tours with both Katie and Elizabeth , so can testify to their enthusiasm & detailed research they put into these apps ~ different though they may be.

I also have In Rome Now's Rome Side Trips app which provides a wealth of information for ideas about day trips/side trips from Roma ~ some close by & others as far as two hours away ~ with descriptions, distance and maps.

I had never had an iPad in Italy until my last trip there. I purchased a SIM card and a data plan from WIND. I really appreciated the GPS locator tools when I was looking for a site, shop, or restaurant.

My favourite apps were Katie Parla's, Flavia Chapman's Elizabeth Minchilli's EAT ROME.

I have downloaded a bunch for our upcoming trip but won't comment on their usefulness prior to trying them out.

Jerry, What have you downloaded for the next trip? I understand you are not endorsing them--just curious.
I went overboard with apps . . . Visiting Tuscany, Tuscany Experience, Tuscany for Foodies, Tuscany Wineries, Brunello do Montalcino, Eat Florence, Siena and the Hill Towns, Florence Explorer, Chianti Food and Wine, Eat Venice.

Don't judge. :)

I bought a few of the Italy apps but when I look through them, I don't see how they are better than a good guide book. I can understand for restaurants - because they can be updated - but for sights and things to do I still carry a printed guidebook. I don't like to be fussing with my phone or iPad when out and about.

The only app I really find useful is Google maps. I use it when wandering around and, as usual, have made a wrong turn. I have Katie Parla's app (the only food one I like) and look at it when back at apartment/hotel. I don't even carry my guidebook; I have a few on my iPad but just look at them in advance.
My first trip to Sicily, before I had the iPad or a working smartphone, I ripped out the few pages I needed from my favorite guidebook (I think it was Rough Guide) and carried them in my purse for reference.

I have used Tap Venice Eating for restaurants and bars. I have usually picked out a place to go from another source (Chow Venice or recommendations from ST, Chowhound, blogs, etc.), but I find the offline maps on Tap Venice very helpful in finding my way. On the other hand, I really don't like the maps on the EAT Venice app. Maybe it's just me, but I can't make sense of them. I have not used Spotted By Locals for any Italian city (I think that site has only added Rome), but did like it for Barcelona. My favorite maps are still the Streetwise series that I can stick in my purse and consult when I get lost. I like being able to see the map in a larger format that those available on my iPhone.

"....My favorite maps are still the Streetwise series that I can stick in my purse and consult when I get lost. I like being able to see the map in a larger format that those available on my iPhone."
Funny ---- I just very recently and reluctantly gave up on Streetwise maps, because I can no longer read them on the go, print much too small. Whereas the Google map can be enlarged quite a bit. It's especially good if I plan out a walking route in advance.

I use iVenice for a comprehensive listing of the vaporetti and ferry lines, Michela Scibilia's TapVenice Eating, and my very favorite, hi!Tide Venice for acqua alta levels and predictions throughout the city. hi!Tide is free too!

The Italy Chowhound board has always been great for us (the France board too for that matter), but I'm pretty biased, since I've been on it almost since the beginning (way over 10 years now...NYC & Outer boroughs boards). The charm of the Italy board is that Eliz. Minchilli, Katie Parla, Maureen Fant & Judy Witts all are frequent contributors. We used Elizabeth's "Eat Florence" app. During our stay there last year and it was very helpful.

So glad to see the variety of replies here. I am truly a simple person or as some might say, a "ludite". I take nothing with me on travels but my phone and just to check emails or post to FB. I am trying to get away from the daily routine and addiction of electronics. Plus, I prefer traveling lightly. So, like Pauline I will use pages from a guide book or just rely on my instincts. Or if I am lost, (no GPS) I get to talk to the locals and interact with them. Or just get lost and find new places. On my last tour with a small group they wanted to hit just one more winery….so we drove down dirt roads with funky signs until we found a really fantastic place and no one else was there. We got a great tour, lots of wine and the group was happy to make a new "discovery"….Having said all of that, I am curious about Peter Kirby's new app for art and may just have to check one out….

a presto, tutti,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Totally appropriate Giulia! I have a few Italy location apps and will review them again and post my thoughts. I think it is important to have really good content (but that is obvious).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis