• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Article Why you should try Slow Travel

Your last paragraph reminds me of a fungus found in the local woods (again name long forgotten) that smelt just like the gas works of my youth.... I don't think you would have wanted to eat that one!

Hi Eleanor
Not a stinkhorn was is? It has a sticky, gooey and very smelly top, not that I tend to get too close.

The (very) surprising thing is it's genuinely edible, and people do eat it. However this is only in the egg stage the photo below shows it coming out of the egg.

1527270053085.png

A mushroom that if the wind is in the right direction, can be detected 50m (or more) away!
Regards
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it wasn't a stinkhorn which you usually smell long before you see it (and I wouldn't fancy eating that either.)
I've gone to google (which I should have done in the first place) and it was Tricholoma sulphureum, often referred to as the Gas Works Mushroom. I wasn't aware of the smell until I unpacked it in the kitchen and after a few minutes the family were accusing each other of making the smell... Apparently it is poisonous.
Screen shot 2018-05-25 at 20.48.43.png

Hi Eleanor
That's one I've not seen (except in a book), though I suspect the brains of the operation will have encountered it. The unpacking in the kitchen is a great opportunity to double check, with time, good light and a comfy seat. Even experts can make fatal mistakes by being arrogant enough to avoid giving it a second thought.
Thanks for posting the pics
Regards
Ian

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina