• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

You may want to avoid using P&O / DFDS / Stena / Irish ferries

Ian Sutton

1000+ Posts
Based on their immediate sacking of 800 staff to bring in cheaper agency staff, using handcuff trained security teams to remove staff there and then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60779001 (Full story on the BBC)

It's up to each of us to decide for ourselves and I'd hate to see anyone criticised for using P&O, but awareness is important in helping us to an informed decision.

Wow! That is unbelievably reprehensible conduct. I don't believe US laws would have allowed such actions unless the company had gone completely bankrupt.

Although that company has certainly gone morally bankrupt.

A move like this just goes to show one of two depressing facts of modern economics : either that we consumers are very weak in organizing united action against unfair companies, or that decision makers in these companies are so callous that they don't really care what consumers think. I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in the room where this decision was made - it would have been interesting to hear if anyone even brought up the issue of consumer/media backlash, and what the answer was.

As I have no previous knowledge on the subject, I found the following article an interesting read. It certainly does not justify the way this latest sacking of employees was done, but it gives a background on the ups and downs of this company and the travel industry - one of many that are feeling the brunt of the pandemic, and of other current global crises, such as climate change :

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina