• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2015 travel plans

... 1. March - 10 days in Texas. (I am a Canadian - Texas is very foreign to me in many ways).
I spent 20 years in the next door state, New Mexico, and Texas was still foreign to me! Austin is a fabulous city, but we never made it to San Antonio, which is supposed to be very interesting. Have a great trip!

My first time to post our travel plans, here or the old site, ever.

As of last week we have our flights to Rome! We will rent a car and drive to Los Angeles in time for Mother's Day and fly out of LAX (we did this last year and it was perfect. We love the new Tom Bradley terminal, right up there with the great European airport terminals. IMHO). We are flying with Swiss again, in business as my back won't take a flight longer than 2.5 hours in coach.

We will land at FCO at 10:30pm if all goes as planned, and we grab our car and drive up to Fontana del Papa, in Tolfa. http://www.fontanadelpapa.it We are staying with Assuntina for 4 nights, from there we are driving to Manoppello in Abruzzo. We have an apartment at Villa Pardi, the same one as last year http://www.villapardi.it/?lang=en where we are staying 5 nights.

Our great fortune in timing brings us to Manoppello in time for the Feast of The Holy Face of Manoppello - http://www.visitabruzzo.co.uk/index...-of-manoppello-and-the-feast-of-the-holy-face. A video from 2013 is here -

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8o3b61YKSA4

Last year we focused on Rob's Grandfather, this year we will seek out information about his Grandmother.

From Manoppello we will drive back to Rome where we have an apartment set for 23 nights. - our first time in 18 trips to be staying in an apartment while in Rome! About time? Yep. Here is the link for our digs - http://www.gruppodirienzo.com/en/. We have the Domus Aurea unit ( Residence ) and Rob's niece and family will join us for our last 3/4 days and they have the Pantheon Suite.

We fly home the morning of June 13th and arrive SFO around 4:15pm

Our other travel plans that are on the books is a cruise leaving Boston and finishing in San Diego. Granted, this will be our 9th time through the Panama Canal, but there are a couple of new ports and we love endless days at sea (we will be treating several ports as sea days.

There will be a few trips to LA, and my mom would like to do an Ohai weekend with my sister and ourselves...we will see if that comes about.

2015 looks like it is going to be a great year for us as it does for you. We must open our minds, meet new people and learn new cultures. Travel- On

Sounds great @Wendy&Rob ! We always flew Business Class from the US to Europe, using miles to upgrade, because I have a bad back too. Having room to stretch out makes such a difference. It looks like you are doing a daytime flight if you get to Rome in the late evening?

A big HELLO to Assuntina from us - we met her several years ago!

Over 3 weeks in Rome - how lovely! And what a location. The Pantheon is my favorite spot in Rome. We stayed near there a few times.

We are going to Italy TWICE this year - I am very excited. We sort of drifted away from Italy and started traveling more to England and then to France. It was spending that week in Tuscany last June (a last minute decision) that made me remember how much I love Italy.

No, Pauline, our flight from LAX leaves at 7:30pm with a layover in Zurich. We chose the 5H 20min layover versus the 1H 40min option. We did the LAX-ZRH route last year, but we had the shorter layover booked, then our plane left LA an hour and half late. We made the second flight, but we had to literally run through the ZRH airport to make our flight, so we decided to go with the longer layover and not stress. I suppose we might be able to take the earlier flight if we can make that easily (with change fees). Of course we will say hello to Assuntina for you, it because of you we know about FdelP and love it. It is how we usually enter Italy, it makes for the very best way to get our bodies on Italian/European time.

We haven't explored ( by land ), other countries, yet, we will someday. Italy has so much to offer and though we are repeating three places we have been there is more for us to see. And with Rome, last year we saw five new exhibits/sites/catacombs/buildings, and there were more 'new Things' we just didn't have time for. There is always something "new" in Rome....

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina