• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2023, Spring Northern Italy part 9

BEERMAN

100+ Posts
April 11-25, 2023

If you have been following along from the beginning we mentioned that a few of our accommodations were only reserved a couple days prior to arrival. We did look at available rentals within Cinque Terra and there were a couple that we almost went for! but with the car we opted for Rapallo, which we really enjoyed.

We hiked the Cinque Terre trails a few years ago and we wanted to do that again. The Stazione di Rapallo was a short 5 minute walk from the apartment. With a take away caffe' in hand we boarded an early train to Monterosso al Mare, trip took approximately 35-40 minutes.

unnamed (14).jpg

Upon arrival we walked to the beach, which is literally a stone's throw from the stazione. The temperature was nice for hiking and the skies were very overcast...it would clear during our hike! We stayed in Monterosso on our last visit so we knew the town well. Monterosso al Mare basically has an "old town" and a "new town" connected by a lovely seaside promenade and foot tunnel. After visiting the "Giant" aka Neptune we walked to the old town for breakfast.

UT3A0472.JPG

UT3A0466.JPG

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

At the far end of old town we paid an admission to the trails, really don't mind paying especially since they have to maintain this high traffic trail. FYI, money is being spent rebuilding the low section between Manarola-Riomaggiore, landslide took it out in 2012 and it's expected to reopen in July 2024. It is obviously a popular hike, however we started out around 9am and we saw few hikers most of the day!

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (25).jpg

The 2 times we've hiked here we started from Monterosso, and in my opinion the first hour is the toughest part going up, up, up! It's such a relief when the trail has level areas or slight downhill grades. Of course getting to the towns is the goal here, but between Vernazza and Corniglia there is a great stopping point named Bar Gabbiano, oustanding views, wonderful lemon drinks and ice cold beer!!

I won't bore you with the minor hiking details, I'll just load up some pics!

unnamed (26).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

unnamed (10).jpg

unnamed (11).jpg

unnamed (13).jpg

unnamed (12).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (17).jpg

unnamed (32).jpg

unnamed (31).jpg

unnamed (18).jpg

unnamed (19).jpg

unnamed (34).jpg

unnamed (20).jpg

Once we toured the tight corridors of Corniglia we walked down the hundreds of steps to the stazione, people coming up looked exhausted ha! We hopped the train to Manarola, very short trip! We repeated our last visit with lunch at Marina Piccolo, great food, view and atmosphere. There was only one other couple there, would you believe it was the couple we dined next to in Florence, what are the chances?! After food and great conversation we reluctantly decided to skip Riomaggiore this trip and walked up to the stazione to head back to Rapallo.

unnamed (35).jpg

unnamed (36).jpg

_T3A0570.JPG

unnamed (38).jpg

unnamed (41).jpg

We are almost certain to return one day to Cinque Terre, it's just that special of a place. Remember this was late April, but the crowds were relatively light and I bet we only saw 2 dozen people on the trails, most were in the afternoon walking towards us. And I noticed many of those were wearing nice clothes and shoes not meant for hiking! If you've never been and are considering this hike, different parts are considered average to difficult, wear hiking shoes, bring plenty of water and expect some exercise! * Next report we travel north into Piemonte...Ciao!

Thanks very much for the story BEERMAN, and for the very lovely photos. Looks like you had great weather, and nice that things weren't crowded. Brought back memories of our first and only trip to the CT in November 2008. No doubt that this stretch of coast is full of stunning scenery.

Finally got a chance to catch up on the adventure! Well done... as always! Really enjoy the BW touch.
Will be awaiting the next adventure!

Finally got a chance to catch up on the adventure! Well done... as always! Really enjoy the BW touch.
Will be awaiting the next adventure!
Hey Colo! I’m having a big burn day at the cabin with all this rain! Next report in your favorite region?! Should post it in a couple days, heading to Colorado Tuesday! Cheers!!

I'm amazed the CT trails were that light on people! I can only think the Riomaggiore-Manorola (Lovers path) being out of action has put people off "if I can't do it all, I won't do it at all"?

I'm sure that we had 2 dozen walkers in sight at some point on each of the paths, and that at a similar time of year.

Seeing the train pic reminded me that I managed to get us on a train going in the wrong direction here. Inexcusable when you think about it, as the sea is such an obvious geographical clue of which platform we needed to be on. Luckily it was the slow train.

I'm amazed the CT trails were that light on people! I can only think the Riomaggiore-Manorola (Lovers path) being out of action has put people off "if I can't do it all, I won't do it at all"?

I'm sure that we had 2 dozen walkers in sight at some point on each of the paths, and that at a similar time of year.
My guess is that people were questioning the early morning weather, we brought rain coats but it didn’t rain. Cleared nicely by 10! We hiked in early October last time and there were considerably more people but not overcrowded, until you reached a town.

There is an upper path to Riomaggiore that’s open if someone wants a complete hike. Lovers lane has been closed 11 years! Since we’ve never seen that section it gives us a good reason to return!

Beerman, Annalissa passed on your request that I get back to.
Will be brief have an appointment at Andrea O’berot this morning in La Morra.
We arrived in Guarene a few hours early for our check iN. We went to the piazza where Mira Langhe is. I took my Ipad in and showed your photo of the Mira Langhe Gang and yourselves. to Maurizio. He said hello and I showed him the photo and said is this you and pointed to him in the photo. He said, yes a big smile came across his face. He said ah you are a friend of Richard’s and I said yes. Only later when Annalisa came in did they begin to understand the relationship.
As you know they are lovely , welcoming friendly and will do anything for you.
I will write more later.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina