• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

3 weeks in Italy ~ May/June 2017

susan

100+ Posts
Hi everyone,

Pauline asked me to add a link to my blog ~ https://shaveicegelato.com/ ~ where I am blogging abouy my recent trip to Italy:
5 nights in Udine
4 nights in Treviso
6 nights in Modena
2 nights in Iseo (Lake Iseo)
1 night with friends in Coccaglio
Last night in Venice

This link will take you to the beginning of my trip - https://shaveicegelato.com/2017/05/23/im-off/ If you scroll all the way down and click on the arrow to the right, you can get to the next page without having to go back to the home page.

My original plan was to blog along the way, but since I left my laptop at home, I realized pretty quickly that it was just going to be too time consuming so I only did a few posts with some photos while in Italy. Instead, I wrote everything down in a journal (old school) and now need to add each day to my blog. It probably will take me a while, but I plan to get it all done eventually.

Hi Susan
I hope this old-school approach means a succession of sketch drawn landscapes to accompany the notes, perhaps with some pressed wild flowers for further illustration ;)
Definitely interested in the Udine writeup - we've not been there yet, though talk of great coffee has us interested :coffee:

regards
Ian

Hi everyone,

Pauline asked me to add a link to my blog ~ https://shaveicegelato.com/ ~ where I am blogging abouy my recent trip to Italy:
5 nights in Udine
4 nights in Treviso
6 nights in Modena
2 nights in Iseo (Lake Iseo)
1 night with friends in Coccaglio
Last night in Venice

This link will take you to the beginning of my trip - https://shaveicegelato.com/2017/05/23/im-off/ If you scroll all the way down and click on the arrow to the right, you can get to the next page without having to go back to the home page.
Hi Susan, enjoying your photos and posts of your trip. I think the only place I've seen is Treviso (I think) and Venice, so I'm looking forward to reading more about your trip.

Hi Susan
I hope this old-school approach means a succession of sketch drawn landscapes to accompany the notes, perhaps with some pressed wild flowers for further illustration ;)

I used to take a notebook and tape in every receipt each day. I still have a pile of them from Italy trips!

Pauline, why? Was it a budget thing, or a souvenir thing, or a science project, or an art project? Or what?

Pauline, why? Was it a budget thing, or a souvenir thing, or a science project, or an art project? Or what?

It helped me keep track of what we did each day and back then many of the receipts were beautiful, hand-written things. Now I take photos of receipts. I like to see what we pay for things in Europe, vs. in the UK.

full

Dinner in Cancale, Brittany.​

Last edited:
I keep all of my receipts also! Partly to help me remember names of places and the cost of some things and partly because probably I am a little OCD keeping things. I keep them in order in a little ziploc baggie. I have, I can't say every, but probably 95% of all train tickets from my 13 trips to Italy and they made the cut when moving from Hawaii to Colorado.

Still required by law that you take your receipt (ricevuta) with you in Italy, such were (and quite possibly are) the issues with tax fraud.

I didn't realize you stayed there 2 different times? I had a very good experience there. Nice people, very helpful, clean room, spacious, comfortable bed, perfect location, good breakfasts, good AC. My only complaint was that the hair dryer did not blow very hot air, surprising because it looked like a hair salon type hairdryer. This is a minor complaint though and for many not important at all.

Jan, why the difference in the two stays for you?

That's too bad that your room the second time was sort of strange. I am not sure if my room was regular or upgraded.

I also loved the little cups of fruit! I put some of the cut up fruit into the little cup of yogurt and ate some of larger fruit by itself.
IMG_9011.JPG

AND I loved the cute little silverware all tied up with a bow. I took a photo of them but they look much bigger. I should have put something next to them for comparison.
IMG_9014.JPG

Reactions: jan
Susan, I've read your 2 posts about Treviso (Day 6 and Day 7...were there any others that I might have missed ?) and enjoyed being taken back to this beautiful city. We used it as a base when visiting Venice, knowing very little about it prior to our visit, but ended up spending almost 3 full days here. It's over-shadowed by its close proximity to Venice and easily missed, but it's worth a visit. I enjoyed it much more than Padua, for example.

I loved reading your blog and looking at your photos. I am going to be in Udine for 7 nights in late May next year. Going on a Friuli wine and food tour with friends. I can't wait. I've written down the name of Enoteca Giardinetto for my first night before the tour starts. (and of course a visit to Oggi Gelato) :D:pig:

Thank you for taking the time to write your blog!

Mindy

Susan, I've read your 2 posts about Treviso (Day 6 and Day 7...were there any others that I might have missed ?) and enjoyed being taken back to this beautiful city. We used it as a base when visiting Venice, knowing very little about it prior to our visit, but ended up spending almost 3 full days here. It's over-shadowed by its close proximity to Venice and easily missed, but it's worth a visit. I enjoyed it much more than Padua, for example.

I am still working on my time in Treviso. I have an evening after my day trips and another full day to post... hopefully soon!!

I would agree that it's definitely worth a visit! I really enjoyed my time there and would consider basing there again.

Sorry, I have not replied sooner. I did not realize anyone replied to this thread since my last post here.

I loved reading your blog and looking at your photos. I am going to be in Udine for 7 nights in late May next year. Going on a Friuli wine and food tour with friends. I can't wait. I've written down the name of Enoteca Giardinetto for my first night before the tour starts. (and of course a visit to Oggi Gelato) :D:pig:

Thank you for taking the time to write your blog!

Mindy

Thanks, Mindy! Udine is done but there still is much more to post! Sounds like a fun trip next year!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina