• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A Few Days In London

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I've been studying the calendar and trying to come up with a workable itinerary for the conditions as they are now. We're starting out in Ireland, then traveling to Scotland, then to London, and finally to Italy. I just realized we might have to take multiple tests, but we'll have to wait for a few more months to know for sure. Anyway, I think demand will be up regardless, so I've started to book hotel rooms (knowing that I can cancel without penalty) because August is always busy in the UK and Ireland. I'm set for Dublin and Edinburgh, and now I need to figure out London.

We'll fly from Edinburgh to Stansted, go into London for 3 nights, then take the train to Braintree (just 30 min from Stansted) to visit with friends there for several days (Stephen is THE BEST travel planner, and he already has so many places for us to visit!)

My biggest problem is figuring our where to stay in London. Normally we stay around Victoria Station, but that's only because we usually fly into Gatwick. The
Stansted Express leaves from Liverpool St Station, so we'll arrive there and also depart from there. Because we'll have our luggage with us we'll probably opt for a taxi rather than the Tube. I don't have a big wishlist for London - we've been many times before, but I do want a nice location near a Tube stop.

Where are your favorite areas to stay in London? Bonus points if you also have hotel to recommend! Thanks!

If those 3 nights happen to be fri, sat & sun, then there can be some very good deals on hotels in 'The city' (the financial sector), as the business folk will be back home for the weekend. It's right on the doorstep of Liverpool St Station. Is it a good place to stay? It's got a quiet. at times deserted feel over the weekend, and some restaurants don't open. Some classic tourist sites nearby such as St Paul's Cathedral, London Bridge & Tower of London. Transport links are good, though I recall one tube station used to shut for the weekend, so worth checking that.

If you want to be in the bustle of London, then I'd look elsewhere.

Sadly our dates do NOT include the weekend, but that's okay - we'll be in London! I found THIS PLACE on Airbnb, across the street from a Tube Station, w/i walking disance of Liverpool St Station. The cost is super reasonable, the room looks very clean, there's a small kitchen, outdoor space and the host is a Super Host. I can cancel up to a week before so for now I've booked it.

It looks good!

I just checked and sadly the nearby place that used to sell Marcolini chocolates (and also was a nice cosy cafe selling lots of other nice stuff) on Brushfield St has now closed, replaced by the more mainstream Montezuma chocolate.

There's a very good wine shop called 'Uncorked' in the posh arcade that run to the north of Liverpool St station. A very good selection of wines including the like of Luis Pato from Portugal

The walk down to Borough Market is about 35 mins, though there are buses covering that route. It's pricey for sure, but also plenty of top quality. Being able to get (wet) smoked mozzarella, a wide selection of wild mushrooms, exotic fruits, fine chocolates (artisan de Chocolate - a student or Pierre Marcolini), gelato, far too many cheeses, etc. etc. I could blow £200+ on a visit there with ease. Also decent for lunchtime fast food.

It looks good!

I just checked and sadly the nearby place that used to sell Marcolini chocolates (and also was a nice cosy cafe selling lots of other nice stuff) on Brushfield St has now closed, replaced by the more mainstream Montezuma chocolate.

There's a very good wine shop called 'Uncorked' in the posh arcade that run to the north of Liverpool St station. A very good selection of wines including the like of Luis Pato from Portugal

The walk down to Borough Market is about 35 mins, though there are buses covering that route. It's pricey for sure, but also plenty of top quality. Being able to get (wet) smoked mozzarella, a wide selection of wild mushrooms, exotic fruits, fine chocolates (artisan de Chocolate - a student or Pierre Marcolini), gelato, far too many cheeses, etc. etc. I could blow £200+ on a visit there with ease. Also decent for lunchtime fast food.
Thank you! It's always good to know where the local chocolate shop is!!! We've never been to Borough Market and it looks like a nice walk, and maybe we could take in the view from the Shard. (Last time we were there we went up in the walkie-talkie building and had a great view OF the Shard.)

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina