• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Amalfi Coast Recommendations?

jstephens24

Hi,
We are traveling through Italy in September and October 2025 with another couple. We will be in Lake Region, Tuscany and would like to finish the trip on the Amalfi Coast area. Both of of our previous stops will be within walking distance of restaurants etc. but we will have a car throughout parts of our trip. We would like to have the same in Amalfi Coast area with the addition of having access to a marina for boat rental or ferry to take us to other areas. We will be there late Sept/early Oct. We prefer towns that are not super touristy but with decent restaurant options and will be relatively easy to get in and out for checking out other areas. What towns would you recommend that we should consider a rental? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Generally I'd advise against a car on the Amalfi coast. Buses, Ferries and utilising the wonderful old criss-cross of paths (the Tippett pocket book in the sunflower series remains invaluable), are much less stress than having a car.

The western side of Amalfi might be ideal for your criteria, as you'll feel comfortably outside the town itself, plus that's where the day hire boats are in the marina. The restaurants on the marina at this far end of the town were surprisingly good, and it's a pleasing setting facing out onto the boats in the harbour.

The ferries go from closer to the town, whilst there's a frequent coastal SITA bus service, along with other connecting services (Amalfi very much the local hub)

If ever wanting to avoid tourists (and indeed at times people in general), the paths are superb for this.

For rentals, long established local agency l'altracostiera were the ones we favoured, as it felt like we were keeping all the money in the local area, plus if anything went wrong, they had people in the shop/office on the main street in amalfi to help.

Last edited:
The Amalfi Coast is very crowded and touristy, as Ian says, from Positano to Amalfi, but I love that area. Once we stayed in Praiano, west of Positano, with a car and it worked well. You can take the local bus into Positano to get the ferry or boat rentals. Good restaurants in both places.

Summer in Italy rentals has a very good selection of vacation rentals in the area. I’ve used them three times for the Amalfi Coast.

Another option which I’ve been considering is the Sorrento Peninsula. @Valerie who knows this area well recommended that area to me as a way of avoiding the crowds. You would have to drive into Sorrento for ferries/boats.

Have a look at our Italy Trip Reports. There will be good information there. Here is my Trip Report from our time in Praiano.

Also check out The Positano Diaries channel on YouTube for great video of the area.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina
Tuscan Traveler, Living in Italy by Ann Reavis

Back