• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Booking.com problem

Fedina

10+ Posts
Over the years I've used Booking.com many times to book accommodations successfully. Several days ago I was went through Google and Kayak to find the best light to Scotland. The best flight for me was with Aer Lingus. So, I decided to buy. On the Booking.com site, I completed all the information, seat selection and financial stuff etc and pressed 'complete purchase'. A window popped up immediately stating: "Sorry, we couldn't book your Edinburgh flight. Unfortunately, your Edinburgh flight booking didn't go through. This could be for many reasons, but it's usually due to an issue with the airline or the payment not going through. If you still need a flight to Edinburgh, book again" So, I tried again. The same thing happened three times. I gave up and went directly to Aer Lingus and booked the flight through them.

Then, later that day I received three emails from Booking.com. The first two stated the flight was confirmed, and the last stated "Sorry we couldn't book your Edinburgh flight.......if you were charged, we'll issue a refund immediately" but it may take 2-3 days to post back to your account. I found these emails confusing and assumed the final email was the correct one. I then checked my credit card and sure enough Booking.com had charged me.

I have called Booking.com, told them about my attempts to book, the pop up about booking failures and my confusion - as requested I sent copies of the emails received, and asked for my refund. Booking.com has responded that the tickets are nonrefundable and the case is closed! I'm going to dispute the charges with my credit card. But, I'm totally surprised that this company will not refund me without a fight. I have yet to call Aer Lingus and see what they have to say.

Sorry to drone on, but I'm completely surprised by this company's dismissal of an issue I had no control over. Has anyone else had this issue? Advice or thoughts?

Thanks.

Appalling for sure, and absolutely try the credit card route.
Outside of that, if in the UK, what used to be called the 'small claims court' route is a solid way to force a resolution.

Finally, many organisations respond best to calling them out on (un)social media, and although it feels a dirty way to get it resolved, some absolutely drive people to do that through "computer says no" responses.

Let us know if the credit card company helps you. They should absolutely refund you. I’ve had trouble with credit cards when booking online but only when using a foreign website and my US card refused the charge.

So, Booking.com would do nothing about the booking and refused to acknowledge the tech issues or problems with their website. They asked if I took a screen shot of the "Sorry we couldn't book your Edinburgh flight" pop-up window! Haha, somehow I never thought to do that on a failed booking!!! They told me to contact Aer Lingus to see if they could help. As a "third party travel agency" they said the ticket is nonrefundable and blamed the problem on Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus (by the second agent I spoke with) told me that they could refund the reservation made directly with them, but not the Booking.com reservation. Aer Lingus policy is, they "will not cancel the first booking" ( in this case Booking.com). The charges for both reservations are still on my credit card and I am waiting. And, I am left with the Booking.com reservation that I had no clue was confirmed!!! In this case, that's ok. But, in another situation it might not have worked out. I did buy the travel insurance BTW.

Lesson learned - check the prices on Google, Kayak, Mommondo etc., then contact the airline directly and see what they can do for you!

Actual travel - flights, car rentals, etc. has become much more complicated it seems. Or maybe I'm getting older!!!

In an interesting side to this, here in Australia just recently, I read a report of booking. com providers being hacked. Someone booked accommodation overseas and were contacted, it seemed, by booking. com for confirmation of payment details. Their card was then used to make several bookings in other locations in Europe. Booking. com was aware of the problem that providers had been hacked, but they lost the money.

I'm curious about other experiences people have had with Booking.com. We are in the beginning stages of booking a trip to London and Belgium. I generally look for vacation rentals on AirBnb and VRBO or local agencies. I wasn't finding many options so I decided to look at Booking.com. I was surprised to find quite a few rentals that looked very interesting, but I'm hesitant to use this site. They have a horrible rating with Trustpilot and after reading that people have been hacked, I am even more reluctant. I know this isn't the same situation as Fedina's, but I'm wondering if anyone has had successful bookings with Booking.com.

Thanks for any advice.

I often use Booking.com and have never had any problems. In Italy it's the most used, more than Airbnb and much more than VRBO. I sometimes find the accommodation on Booking.com and read all the reviews and then maybe book directly, so this could be a good idea if you don't want to go through them, although once you get in the Genius programme it can be difficult to better their prices, and their free cancellation dates are often better. Also, I find that Booking users are ruthless with their reviews whereas Airbnb and VRBO users can be very generous sometimes.

I have used Booking.com for several years and am at Genius Level 2. They have a huge number of accommodations all over europe. We spend an inordinate amount of time assessing their listed properties in places we want to stay. Always vital to read thru comments. Be cautious of places which only have 2 or 3 comments.
Then, when you find a listing you think you like, go to Google Maps and look up the address of the listing using streetview. See if it matches the photos on Booking .com and see if it is in a nice part of town.
Be wary of listings that don't show good pictures of bathrooms and kitchens.
You can get in touch with the owner/lister via the Booking.com site and you should not hesitate to do so. The reply comes back via Booking .com and not to your email address. This is safer for you and them.

I have also used booking.com for many years to book hotels and vacation apartments.
So far, touch wood, with no problems.
I do like that you can nearly always cancel a booking up to the day before for free.
The reviews are more honest than some airbnb ones.
You used to be able to make more than one booking for the same dates, but now you get a popup saying you have bookings for those dates.
I used to book two or three places on the same dates to keep my options open and cancel all but one about a month before travel.
Seems fair I guess, when there are less places available now.

Don't book places that don't show you clear photos of the AC units, the washing machine and the bathrooms and kitchens in the photos!
Some show you many photos of dried flower arrangements and the inside of kitchen drawers.....?!
Also, if it says two bedrooms, be sure one is not just the living room with a sofa bed.
Examine the photos carefully and ask the host questions.

You used to be able to make more than one booking for the same dates, but now you get a popup saying you have bookings for those dates.
Yikes! I recently had 4 reservations for the first night of our planned June trip! I've cut it down to 2 reservations but both are on booking.com. Decision time!

Some show you many photos of dried flower arrangements and the inside of kitchen drawers.....?!
This drives me crazy! Photos of flowers or a pot on a shelf, when I want to see the size of the fridge!

Over the years I've used Booking.com many times to book accommodations successfully. Several days ago I was went through Google and Kayak to find the best light to Scotland. The best flight for me was with Aer Lingus. So, I decided to buy. On the Booking.com site, I completed all the information, seat selection and financial stuff etc and pressed 'complete purchase'. A window popped up immediately stating: "Sorry, we couldn't book your Edinburgh flight. Unfortunately, your Edinburgh flight booking didn't go through. This could be for many reasons, but it's usually due to an issue with the airline or the payment not going through. If you still need a flight to Edinburgh, book again" So, I tried again. The same thing happened three times. I gave up and went directly to Aer Lingus and booked the flight through them.

Then, later that day I received three emails from Booking.com. The first two stated the flight was confirmed, and the last stated "Sorry we couldn't book your Edinburgh flight.......if you were charged, we'll issue a refund immediately" but it may take 2-3 days to post back to your account. I found these emails confusing and assumed the final email was the correct one. I then checked my credit card and sure enough Booking.com had charged me.

I have called Booking.com, told them about my attempts to book, the pop up about booking failures and my confusion - as requested I sent copies of the emails received, and asked for my refund. Booking.com has responded that the tickets are nonrefundable and the case is closed! I'm going to dispute the charges with my credit card. But, I'm totally surprised that this company will not refund me without a fight. I have yet to call Aer Lingus and see what they have to say.

Sorry to drone on, but I'm completely surprised by this company's dismissal of an issue I had no control over. Has anyone else had this issue? Advice or thoughts?

Thanks.

Good idea to let your credit card company handle the dispute. I’m surprised at Booking.com’s poor response - but have never had to resolve a conflict with them.

I’ve used Booking.com for years with no issues, but only for hotels. I research hotels on Booking and then check directly with the hotels to get the best deal. I don’t consider Booking to be a good source for flights and always book directly with the airline. Sorry you had to go through this and glad you’ll be booking directly with the airlines in the future.

I’ve used Booking.com for years with no issues, but only for hotels. I research hotels on Booking and then check directly with the hotels to get the best deal. I don’t consider Booking to be a good source for flights and always book directly with the airline. Sorry you had to go through this and glad you’ll be booking directly with the airlines in the future.
Thanks all for your interesting comments. I have altered the way I use Booking, at least for our upcoming trip to Scotland. I go through their availability, plus other sites, check the reviews and photos, then go directly to the B&B, hotel etc. and book directly. Have used them for many many years, especially in Italy. I'm just glad the flight issue was resolved by the airline.

Booking.com is not doing itself any favor by refusing to refund a mistaken flight. The Washington Post has a Sunday Travel section with occasional columns about disputed travel arrangements. You might want to look into contacting your local newspaper for help in the event your credit card company doesn't resolve the problem.

Thanks.

Use Amex when booking…they always seem to have your back. Also, taking screen shots should be the norm.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina