• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cinque Terre

Sharon J

100+ Posts
I've been a member of Slow Europe for many years but haven't posted much recently, as we've pretty much settled in to a routine for stays. We have been staying.at Sant'Antonio every year for a very long time, driving to all of our favorite towns for lunch each day. We usually try and visit one different town during our week, but we really want to try a few nights in Cinque Terre. I know many of you are pro's and I have been very uncomfortable in planning, because it seems like it might be too hard for us.

We are in our mid 70's now, but still very active. We aren't interested in hiking, but just want to enjoy the beauty. Perhaps this might be too hard for us? Please tell me your thoughts!!! Also, a hotel, that has a wonderful view!!! We don't need the most expensive hotel, but do want a room with a view, if possible. I'm a California girl, so seeing the water, is very important to me. How do you get your luggage to the hotel? How far is the parking? So many questions, but I really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance, and it you think we may be too old to take this new adventure, don't be afraid to tell me.

Sharon

In terms of a room with a view, the slopes are quite steep, so you'd have to look hard to find one without a view (and even looking inland is enjoyable too). Probably only Monterosso is the exception to this, as it's much flatter.

See it without hiking? absolutely fine. With train and boat services, you can see each village with ease, with the minor exception being Corniglia, though that does have a shuttle bus service to take you from coast/train station to the village... and I think it's worth it as it has understated charm. IIRC Corniglia has an appealing beach, with the other places being more of a small harbour for boats to berth.

The other consideration is how high up you go for for better views, and to a degree to minimise the shock of the noise as the trains pull in - the shape of the landscape seems to amplify the noise. It is something you get used to, but will be a shock on arrival. Sorry I can't advise on the driving, but hopefully others can.

Getting luggage up the hill - it depends how far you want to go up the hill, as some are a modest walk that a wheeled suitcase would be fine with, but there are steep sections for sure. I did see some minivans used for ferrying luggage, and even with a private let, they may well be amenable to meeting you off the train to help with luggage.

Other good non-hiking options:
- Portovenere is served by the ferries and is a rather charming place, where you can stroll through the relatively flat village and/or enjoy the modest bustle around the small harbour. In another world, this might be the tourist hotspot, but it seems to come in under the radar a little bit, with many focused on the CT villages themselves. Indeed it might even make sense to make THIS the base, and you utilise ferries to visit the CT villages, avoiding the fears of steep slopes (and the noise of the trains).
- La Spezia is a somewhat modest port city, in many ways unremarkable, but as it often the way with such places unencumbered by tourism, they have a wonderfully enjoyable evening passeggiata, with the advantage of a good number of pedestrianised streets. It's about 5-10 minutes walk from the train station (which initially may have you feeling this was a mistake... as areas around train stations are rarely appealing). It's a lovely time to people watch, to grab a gelato or coffee, or do a little shopping in a real (not touristy) setting.

_________

Alternatives? The amalfi coast has (IMO) even more stunning views, and being perched up in Ravello makes the very most of those views. It's a bit rubbish to go visit other places (the bus down to amalfi would be essential for you), and logistically is a greater challenge to get there - probably fly into Napoli and swallow the taxi fare direct to Ravello, which we've done before. Another option is to head down to the cilento region, not something we ever did, but we were tempted.

The lakes. Take your pick on size, but the views might appeal, plus I believe there are transport options on / around the water, plus it will be much flatter

Lago Molveno. This one is much more of a logistical challenge to get to - Flight into Bologna, or Verona, then airport bus to connect with fast / comfortable train. Then a bus into Molveno itself. However, once there I describe it as 'picturesque village overlooking a lake, with 360 degree backdrop of mountains with no boring filler'. I found the view from Ravello to be breathtaking, but the views from Molveno made me giggle, so impressive were they. There is a modern cable car to take you up into the mountains, and a relatively flat walk to a further chair lift to go higher still.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian for the great advice. We have been going to Italy for over 30 years, staying in Positano, Lake Como, Florence, Rome, most of Tuscany, and places in between. We have always stayed away from Cinque Terre for some reason. Truthfully, it sounds like we may pass on it again, especially at our ages. We go to Italy twice a year now, always staying at Nico's, Sant'Antonio, near Montepulciano for one week and, venturing elsewhere for a second week. We almost always stay in apartments, including a lovely one in Venice. I actually lived in Gaeta, down South for a year back in the late 60's.

Again, thank you for all the great information, however. It truly is what I needed, in order to convince ourselves that it would be too hard. So back to Nico's and then our favorite lakeside small hotel on Lake Como. You truly always give the best information.

Cool :)

As you mentioned water, I wonder how appealing Lago Trasimeno would be. We never went there when we stayed in Montepulciano, but it's about 30 mins away by car. Is it somewhere you've visited in your times there?

You might consider staying in Levanto, as we did this past October. It's relatively flat and has both ferry and train service to the CT. We stayed at a lovely little hotel called A Durmi (two sisters run it and both speak English and were very helpful in suggesting activities). No view, however. You can easily visit all of the CT towns at your leisure.

Cool :)

As you mentioned water, I wonder how appealing Lago Trasemino would be. We never went there when we stayed in Montepulciano, but it's about 30 minutes away by car. Is it somewhere you've visited in your times there?
Thanks. Ian, sounds like a great day trip. We have driven around it once, but never stopped there.
Thank you for helping us find a new adventure. I think I said our next trip is May, again at Sant' Antonio, and Varenna on Lake Como. Sadly, at our ages, 76 and 77, our trips our numbered.

Thanks. Ian, sounds like a great day trip. We have driven around it once, but never stopped there.
Thank you for helping us find a new adventure. I think I said our next trip is May, again at Sant' Antonio, and Varenna on Lake Como. Sadly, at our ages, 76 and 77, our trips our numbered.
Then hopefully this is an extra special trip

My wife and I looked forward to seeing the CT a few years back after all the hype. I regret to say it was time ill spend on tourist clogged trains and villages that had been poorly maintained. Other villages in much better shape near there
Our biggerst disappointment in 20 trips to Europe!~

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina