• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Cotswolds Cotswolds, Stretton-on-Fosse, Tea Cosy Cottage, 2bed/1bath

italian excursion

100+ Posts
Date: May 24-June 4, 2015
Where: Streeton-on-Fosse, Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswolds
Company: http://www.campdencottages.co.uk
Who: Cheryl Alexander, www.italianexcursion.com

This two-bedroom/one bath cottage was just what we envisioned when we thought of visiting the Cotswolds. Campden Cottages, the rental company was accurate with the internet description and we were not disappointed. The woman who interacted with us, (whom we never met, once there) was professional and prompt in her email contacts. The price, very reasonable ($1500 for ten days).

I'm sorry I didn't take photos of the inside but there are some on the website. One thing worth mentioning is the staircase to the bedrooms/bath. It is VERY twisty, slippery and has small steps. I never used it without my hands on the rails. So, if one has difficulty with stairs to begin with, this is not a safe home for you. Other than that, all was in order.

The cottage was easy to find in Stretton, which is a very small village (population 370+) and just four miles from Moreton-in-Marsh, a wonderful market town with everything one needs for provisions and transportation. There is a great railway station as well as numerous bus companies connecting to most of the best Cotswold towns/villages in the area. However, the bus and taxi service from Stretton to Marsh is very sketchy. We waited over an hour for the appointed, scheduled bus and it never came. (Luckily, a neighbor noticed and gave us a ride into town so we could pick up our car). We did see quite a few buses go by our cottage during our stay, but they were not on the schedule so it was a bit confusing. A car is recommended but one could just arrange for taxis from Moreton if driving is not desired.

The cottage itself was easy to enter, and just a few blocks from the one pub in town. (More on that later). There is a lock box with the key for initial entry and exiting on the last day. The instructions were easy enough to use and it meant no interaction was necessary with the host. The house was very clean, plenty of nice linens, very comfortable furniture. The floors in the bedrooms have "settled" so I sort of felt has though the head of my bed was slanted downward, but I slept well anyway. The mattresses are on the softer side, just an FYI. There is plenty of storage, hangers in the chifarobe, soap in bathroom, kitchen and tea was set out with a cake from the market, when we arrived. There is a very sweet backyard with table and chairs and lots of flowering plants, birds; a quiet setting, great for morning coffee.

The living area has a lovely wood stove and there's a great woodpile out back. There are two tv's, one up and one downstairs. We never used them so not sure of reception. There is a phone but no instructions on use so we used our cells. We advise having use of a cell phone for calling taxis and the like. The kitchen is well-equipped for simple meals, toast, tea, etc. There is a small sized fridge which served us well as we didn't want to eat all of our meals out. We didn't use the dishwasher but it seemed up to date. Bathroom had a shower and bath and plenty of hot water.

We spent quite a bit of time in the living area as there are two couches and it was really just a perfect cottage for two people. The neighborhood itself is lovely for walking and exploring, with fields and "walks" all around. The Plough Inn, the only commercial enterprise in the village was delightful. Its owners, Steve and Mandy, and their two adult sons were always welcoming, friendly and we truly felt like we were part of village life. The food, typical Sunday lunch "roasts" and sandwiches, burgers, etc., was excellent. They had a "chef" who took great care in preparing the meals. We had several while we stayed in the village and on Sunday evenings there is a local musician's gathering where about 25 of them come together to jam, playing old English folks songs, blues and the like. We were so excited to meet some of the old professionals like Simon Nichols of Fairport Convention! The music was fabulous and we stayed too late, but walking home with the "torch" provided by the cottage company made it all just fine.

One last thing that was very important to me, personally. I've stayed in many, many vacation rentals in Europe over the last twenty years and as a person with allergies I must say that I had not one single symptom, sneeze or wheeze during our stay. England always conjures up visions of mold and mildew for me but not in this cottage! I was pleasantly surprised especially since it was the spring season.

Cheers,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

I saw this cottage while Cheryl was there and it is lovely. Very historic and in a cute village. I would say you really need a car staying there. Moreton is a good town to be close to as it has a good local supermarket, Budgens, and good other shops. You are also very close to Chipping Campden.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina