• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Eureka! Who Wants To Go Barging?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I've been thinking about our 2015 trip to England. So far we've got an initial period in London, followed by a few nights in Bath, then to the Cotswolds with a rental car for (at least!) a full week. I'd like a day or 2 at then end for London, but also wanted something else. The Lake District was/is a possibility, but then I read an article about barges/canal boats in various countries and I thought "THAT'S IT!"

So, what do you think? Has anyone here ever done that? AND - would any of you be interested in joining us? I know nothing about this, so I have lots of research to do. I don't know how many people these boats hold, what they cost, or what the standard rental period is! I'm assuming that we are fit enough and smart enough to do what needs to be done, but we're certainly not very mechanical, but Art has driven boats - back when he was a teenager!

A google search on Narrowboat Holidays brings up lots of useful links - they're normally called narrowboats over here, rather than barges (they have to be narrow to fit through the 7' wide locks). We've hired lots of times, but mostly back in the late 80s/early 90s.

It's a lovely way of seeing the countryside: a nice mixture of relaxation (speeds are slow: 4mph max, and often slower as you pass moored boats & fishermen), and bursts of activity when you have to negotiate locks - unlike river locks & continental canals, you work the canal locks all by yourself (not hard to do, and great fun).

It's probably best to have a look at the websites of the bigger operators, to give you an idea of options & prices. Anglo Welsh and Black Prince would be my suggestions (see those search results, above): both offer a wide range of boats and hire locations.

Here are some pics from our only recent trip, 5 years ago. 3 views of our big boat (70', the longest size, once standard for freight narrowboats), just about to leave a lock, at one of our overnight moorings (you can stop wherever you want, with only a few exceptions), and meandering through the countryside.

Have a look at those links, and do ask any follow-up questions! 2009-October-Canal 017.JPG

2009-October-Canal 040.JPG 2009-October-Canal 013.JPG

I like the Kennet and Avon canal that runs from Bath to Reading, connecting the River Avon with the Thames. I wrote a page about it on SlowTrav - http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/hiking/kennet_avon_canal.htm

A friend of mine is doing a few days out on the Kennet Avon soon and I will find out who she booked with.

Lucille wrote a page about another route. She knows the England canals well and helps people plan trips. The one time I have been on a canal boat was with her several years ago. http://www.slowtrav.com/uk/notes/avon_canal.htm

I think the cost for two is affordable because my friends that are going, just the two of them, do not like to spend a lot of money on travel. You could do a shorter trip. You won't get me on a canal boat for many reasons - but we would happily spend a day walking along a canal.

I've started the process by writing to Lucille - after checking out the 2 companies Jonathan recommended I'll admit I was feeling a bit overwhelmed! How in the world can I decide where I want to begin, or where we want to go when it all looks so beautiful?! Since we'll be in the Costwolds already, and since we'll be leaving from either Gatwick or Heathrow just a day or 2 after ending our narrowboat trip, I'm hoping that it might help us to narrow down the possibilities!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina