• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Florence Florence bans new short-term rentals in historic centre

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
In the news this past week, we learned that the Florence administrators had decited to ban new short-terms rental in the historic city centre. Long story short: The city of Florence has banned new short-term rentals on platforms such as Airbnb in its historic centre, in an attempt to free up more homes for locals. Owners who turn existing short-term lets into ordinary leases will be exempt from their property taxes for three years.

While I'm not entirely surprised, I think that in the long run, this could mean more expensive Airbnbs if owners decide to convert their units into long-term rentals. Then again, it is such a lucrative industry, especially in a city like Florence, that it may not have much of an effect.

Any thoughts?

A difficult subject for sure.

IMO, on a small scale, apartment rentals are much less of an issue, indeed when tourists are choosing that option to better embed in the culture, I see this as better than hotels, not worse. The reasoning is that those tourists support real businesses, like food markets, alimentari, bakeries etc. With just a small proportion given over this way, there's still plenty of housing available for locals.

However when the scale ramps up, and this option is seen merely as a cheap alternative to hotels, yes it can cause problems, or increase existing problems that have developed over the years. I'll also add that there have been some awful behaviour in air b&bs, impacting the neighbours.

What's the answer? I suspect this (targeted action) is indeed the answer, either when the housing issues become acute, or when a community sees the trend and implements it before it gets critical.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina