• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Foods to try in Norway and Iceland

Doug Scarola

10+ Posts
We will be in Norway and Iceland via a cruise. As always, I like to sample local foods and snacks. are there any items I should “not miss” while there? Sweets …drinks…foods…
I'm the foodie…Lori? Not so much!! Hahaha

We will be in Norway and Iceland via a cruise. As always, I like to sample local foods and snacks. are there any items I should “not miss” while there? Sweets …drinks…foods…
I'm the foodie…Lori? Not so much!! Hahaha
norway is most boring peas and carrots and tough meat schrimp good out of the bay might get moose meat

I don't recognise dsevig's description of Norwegian food... There is less emphasis on fruit and veg in Norway as so little can be grown there and it does tend to be expensive as most has to be imported.

Norway is big on fish and especially different types of picked fish, which are popular at breakfast. Gravalax is salmon cured and preserved using dill.(You may have come across it elsewhere, but nothing is as good as that you will find in Norway.) The fish is very good, so do make a point of trying it.

There is also gamalost (translated as old cheese). It is too - it is very strong flavour and smells (and tastes ) a bit like socks that have been worn for a month.... You will probably try oncce but never again!

Slabs of Brunost or Brown cheese will be found everywhere, along with a cheese slice to slice off thin slices. It is made from goat's milk and has a slightly caramel flavour. People either love or hate it.

Depending on when you visit, you may find cloudberries. These grow on on wet moorland and has large pale coloured berries . It is impossible to describe the tase, the best I can come up with is a scented honey. They are delicious and also make very good jam.

In May, you may find gull's eggs - they are more translucent than your usual hen's egg and have a slightly stronger flavour.

Reindeer is also popular.

Alcohol is very expensive and only low strength beers are sold in the supermarket. Anything above 4.7% ABV has to be sold through state run stores. Lookout for Macks Ølbryggeri brewed near Tromso , the furthest north brewery in the world.

Some information about Norwegian food here.

Perhaps Iceland's most famous food is fermented shark, (hakari) but I believe that is very much an acquired taste... Apparently it was traditionally washed down with Brennivin (often called Black Deat) obtained by fermenting potatoes and flavored with caraway seeds. It is supposed to help 'fade the taste of meat'..
You may find whale meat too - again very different (and probably acquired) taste.

Skyr is the Icelandic version of Yogurt and is very good.

Also look out for Icelandic Larva (or hot spring) bread. This is made using rye flour but is baked in a hole dug in the ground and uses the natural geothermal heat to cook. It produces a rtather spongy texture which can be a bit chewy.

If you see any Icelandic lamb, definitely try that as the taste is out of this world compared with the usual supermarket type offerings.

This is an interesting article about Icelandic food.

Last edited:
I don't recognise dsevig's description. Norway is big on fish and especially different types of picked fish. Gravalax is salmon cured and preserved using dill.(You may have come acrtoss it elsewhere, but nothing is as good as that you will find in Norway. The fish is very good, so do make a point of trying it.

There is also gamalost (translated as old cheese). It is too - it is very strong flavour and smells (and tastes ) a bit like socks that have been worn for a month....

Depending on when you visit, you may find cloudberries. This grows on on wet moorland and has large pale coloured berries . It is impossible to describe the tase, the best I can come up with is a scented honey. They are delicious and also make very good jam.
In May, you may find gull's eggs - they are more translucent than your usual hen'segg and have a sliughtly stronger flavour.

Perhaps Iceland's most famous food is fermented shark, but I believe that is very much an acquired taste... Skyr is the Icelandic version of Yogurt and is very good.
Lol…cloudberries might be a try but the others…not going to happen. sadly, Lori does not eat seafood…I do but none of this sounds very appealing…,except the berries

Don't dismiss the fish in Norway - it is actually very good, espoecially all the varieties of pickled herrings.

I must admit I wasn't that keen on Stockfish, dried fish. Depending on when you are there, you may see wooden racks with fish hanging out to dry on them. This was a major sorce of income and the fish was exported in large quantites around the world. It is soaked before cooking but I must admit I did find this chewy and lacking in taste.

Apart from the two cheeses I mention, the rest are very good as is the sliced cold meats.

As a foodie, do try things, even if you decide after a mouthful that it isn't for you! The ones I've highlighted are at the extreme edge. Icelandic bread from memory was good.

Don't dismiss the fish in Norway - it is actually very good, espoecially all the varieties of pickled herrings.

I must admit I wasn't that keen on Stockfish, dried fish. Depending on when you are there, you may see wooden racks with fish hanging out to dry on them. This was a major sorce of income and the fish was exported in large quantites around the world. It is soaked before cooking but I must admit I did find this chewy and lacking in taste.

Apart from the two cheeses I mention, the rest are very good as is the sliced cold meats.

As a foodie, do try things, even if you decide after a mouthful that it isn't for you! The ones I've highlighted are at the extreme edge. Icelandic bread from memory was good.
I’m always up to try something…and I will!! Thank you!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina