• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Global Entry Backlogged

Did y'all see this article? I've been trying to log in to their website to start the renewal process but the page isn't loading correctly. I sent them an email asking if they're aware of the problem but haven't yet had an answer. Anyone else having problems?
Just to follow up on this - yes, there is a backlog, but I was told the reason I couldn't log in was because I was using Chrome instead of IE. I also discovered that I don't have to start the renewal process until this summer!

I renewed my global Entry this morning. No problems logging into the website. We'll see how long it takes to be renewed!! I'm not going anywhere internationally until Oct. 2020 so I'm hopeful I'll be "good to go".

Curious about the Global entry program. I did look at their website, but am curious about how much time is saved on return to the US. This year we are traveling to France, but I see it isn't on their list, so not sure it would make a difference for travel this year....but maybe that isn't true? Does this eliminate standing in line on re-entry at US Customs?

Hi Jeannie,
I live in Boston and if more than one international flight arrives at the same time the lines through customs can be overwhelming. Once I get my suitcase and head over to one of the Global Entry kiosks, scan my passport, it scans my fingerprints....I answer an on-screen form (the one they used to hand out while you are on the plane)....it takes my picture, prints a receipt and I hand it to the customs agent. Normally in under 5 minutes. Worth the money...$100/5 years includes TSA pre-check for Domestic flights. The first time you apply you have to go to whatever airport near you which has the screenings.....you'll be interviewed, finger printed and photo taken. I'm so boring that my initial interview took less than 10 minutes.

Other travel friends have used Mobile Passport (an app for the phone)....I don't know too much about it though.

Hope this helps!

PokeyMindy, we also live near Boston. I just don't see the advantage of Global Entry. We do have Pre-Check when leaving the US. When we return to the US we go to the same kiosks where you scan your passport and answer the questions.

We regularly travel with another couple who have Global Entry, they do sometimes get through customs faster than us, but then we catch up with them at the baggage claim. They have to wait for their bags just like us.

If you only have carry on bags then maybe it is worth the time saving, but whenever we go to Europe there is no way my wife can travel with just carry on! :D

You're lucky then. Me, not so much. Totally worth $20/year. Happy (and speedy) travels for you in the future :cat:

Maybe we have been lucky. One funny thing when we returned from Italy in December 2018 with our friends who have Global Entry, after we retrieved our bags they were stopped for additional inspection while we breezed past!

I would have thought if you have GE you would not be stopped. We've never been stopped other than once where we had bought a number of very expensive items and declared them on the customs form.

And happy travels to you as well!

We just renewed my wife's Global Entry with Chrome Browser - No problem. We received the new card very quickly - about one week. BTW, We recently returned from France at LAX and it saved a significant amount of time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina