• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Iberia, Tap, Easyjet-Madrid to Lisbon/Barcelona to Madrid

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
I am only familiar with easyjet, but would like some feedback from others who have flown
with Iberia or Tap in Spain/Portugal.
I will be booking 2, one way flights for next Oct.
I realize I will have to pay for the luggage.
Right now prices for Iberia look good.
What has been your experience with these airlines within Europe?
Please make recommendations.

As I live in Portugal and travel around Europe fairly frequently, TAP has become one of my favorite airlines to fly. I’ve never flown with them across the Atlantic but within Europe they are fine. I’ve also flown with Iberia and don’t have such good things to say, but it’s been several years and I, frankly, can’t remember what my complaints were.
I would have zero concerns flying with TAP.

Booked TAP Madrid to Lisbon. Easiest website, paid in Canadian, classic with 1 bag & chose seats.

For Barcelona to Madrid, I am looking at high speed train. Looks like cannot book until 60 days prior.
What website would you use to book train tickets?
What are train station names for Barcelona, Madrid.
I will be going to Madrid airport hotel right after I arrive in Madrd.

I’ve always just used the Renfe site in Spain. The high speed is the Ave. The station in Barcelona is Sants. In Madrid, it’s Atocha. I just did a sample trip for one month out and the cost was 58€. I just entered Todos for station - means “all”.
If you are coming to Portugal, feel free to ask questions. I’ve lived a bit out of Lisbon for over four years and might be able to answer them.

Thanks. I checked fare for my date, Best fare they offer is with Iberia, Vueling fares were over twice as much. Looks like we are going to use the train.

Jan55612: Thanks, I think I might look at Iberia too. With the add on of taxis, baggage/seat selection it is even cheaper then the train. (although I can only get an estimate for train fare now, while I can go ahead and book Iberia).

Iberia has very comfortable seats, we always book extra leg room seats since my BF is tall and big, but I could easily fly comfortably in a "normal" seat.
Vueling is great if you fly to or from Barcelona, anything to or from Europe to other places in Spain will go through Barcelona, so you're actually buying two flights (this is why it's more expensive... and longer).
I also always use RENFE website for trains. If you buy ahead there are huge discounts on AVE trains.

I'm still looking for the Barcelona to Madrid leg. Iberia has the best overall fare and time. I did read a review with photos re: this flight on Iberia and for such a short flight it looks like my best option if I don't want to wait to book fast train (60 days prior). Glad to get your feedback. Thanks.

I'd definitely go for the AVE for the Barcelona-Madrid leg. Comfortable, fast, hassle-free, and not much more expensive than flying (plus lower carbon footprint of course). I did it in December and will be going again this month. I don't really understand the problem with waiting till 60 days prior. You won't have a problem booking a seat. Renfe site used to be awful, but it's pretty straightforward now; another option is to use Trainline.

Thanks, I did prefer the train, however, the flight was very reasonable, so I have booked it. Next time I'll consider train.

For Mediterranean destinations I prefer to fly Vueling which code-shares with Iberia. In fact I just flew Vueling for our xmas-newyear Paris-Rome trip. It was very smooth. We were not at all affected by the strike in the Paris-end.
Another thing to mention is that in our experience we have found Vueling quitei decent in its attitude about luggage limit.
We were around the cabin limit (10 km). No staff even looked at it.

Should have chose the train, at the last minute!
I have had to cancel this trip.
I have a Tap reservation and an Iberia reservation.Lowest far. No airline insurance.
They appear to only be offering vouchers to make changes now, which would expire before
I am able to use them in May 2021.
Any advise on what I should do? Should I just wait until Oct. 2020 to change the flights to May 2021?
I have some insurance on my Infinite Visa card that I will also look into for cancelling.

Should have chose the train, at the last minute!
I have had to cancel this trip.
I have a Tap reservation and an Iberia reservation.Lowest far. No airline insurance.
They appear to only be offering vouchers to make changes now, which would expire before
I am able to use them in May 2021.
Any advise on what I should do? Should I just wait until Oct. 2020 to change the flights to May 2021?
I have some insurance on my Infinite Visa card that I will also look into for cancelling.
I could not get through to TAP so took the voucher. One year to use.

I just flew TAP and was most satisfied with the whole experience. Staff on the ground and in the air are very present, very professional. They are extremely organized when boarding, food was quite good, on time, etc. The only issue as you mention is that you do not get to talk to anyone directly. Everything is done online. However, I always book through agencies that have bought seats (consolidators) and when TAP canceled my return flight home, the agency immediately found a flight, a better one, in fact, for the next day on TAP and that went well. TAP has only 2 classes, economy or business and I got a very good price for business. So worth it!!!

Ciao,
Cheryl

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina