• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

May or June For Dordogne?

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be visiting the Dordogne region of France next year - a full week there, then a night or two at Carcassonne. We'll also want to spend some time in Umbria.

I'm thinking we'd go to Italy first, then to France, but I'm not sure when to plan to be in France, specifically the Dordogne region. any thoughts?

One good reason to go to the Dordogne in June (if it's late June) is the night markets, which are only held in summer. They are mainly in July and August, but in some towns they start the last week in June. The night markets are big communal dinners held in various village squares. Tables are set up, you bring your own place settings (although they do sell disposable ones at the markets) and various vendors are there preparing and selling food (very inexpensive). There is also live music, and sometimes dancing. We were there in June 2013 and had so much fun at two of the markets. Here's a photo of a night market in Beaumont du Perigord.

nightmarket.jpg

We stayed in Beynac at the end of May a year ago, and the weather was perfect. Fell in love with the Dordogne area.

I'll be in the Dordogne at the end of June on one of Kathy and Charley's tours. We stay in Montignac which sounds like a lovely village. If I was doing this trip without the tour, I might have gone a little earlier in the hope of avoiding crowds. I'll be sure to post about the trip when we're there. I am looking forward to going to one of the night markets!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina