• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Paris Restaurants

Lorac

10+ Posts
My husband and I will be staying in Paris in the 3rd arrondissement at the end of next June. I am looking for recommendations for small, not fancy restaurants. My online searches are detailing many places now permanently closed. Are there some new places that have cropped up since the pandemic onset?
Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Paris in May for 3 weeks. I'll just miss you next May, when I'm there 1-31.

I have no internet today, so I'm not going to use up cell service for links, but here's a list of favorites in the 3rd/4th:

Miznon is a favorite
Tosca (and the Portuguese tarts next door a Comme A Lisbonne, same owner)
Les Enfants du Marché
Le Mary Celeste
Candelaria
If you crave Mexican food (chips, guac, margaritas) La Perla Bar
Eataly, if you want to stock some Italian ingredients, or eat there
L'as Du Falafel is still open, but across the street is King Falafel, and I also like that place
Cafe Breizh is still open, and they're also on Rue Montorgueil.
Les Philosophes if you want to hang out with a young, vibrant crowd
Camille was downstairs from one apartment. Very popular. Good French food.
Au Bourguignon du Marais for old school
Carboni's for more Italian

If this isn't enough, there are more. Also, check out Paris By Mouth website for their recommendations (more $$$ usually). They also have wonderful, small group, food tours that are worth the time and money.

Wow. Many thanks! It has been a while since we spent time in Paris, so our resources are slim. Your message gives me much to look into.
Carol

Wow. Many thanks! It has been a while since we spent time in Paris, so our resources are slim. Your message gives me much to look into.
Carol
Sure! I'm often staying in the 2nd (my month-long rental is there in 2023), so I can also make recommendations for 1st/2nd, if you're interested. I'm not as familiar with good places on the Left Bank. I always stay on the Right Bank.

Because I travel solo since my husband died, I often go to the small, hole-in-the-wall places! Don't be discouraged by the outside of Miznon, for example! LOL Trust me, the food, especially their veggies, are fabulous.

While I was there in May, several of my friends caught Covid, 2 locals, 2 travelers. I ate outside and got take-out a lot during my stay. I masked up inside when places were crowded. I didn't go to any museums that trip. I'm hoping things will be much better in 2023. I have no hesitation about returning.

Recommend away! We travel, mostly by foot but frequent le Metro as well.

Ugh to Covid. Sorry about your husband's death. Life is terribly short so each new day is a treasure.

Carol

Cameron's list is good, and I second her recommendation re: Paris by Mouth!
Also David Liebovitz's blog has nice new, current recommendations.
And don't forget browsing the wonderful food shops along rue des Martyrs in the 9th, pretty
near the 3rd, and great for groceries, take-out, etc.

There is a food board called HungryOnion.org with an excellent Paris section. Many American visitors ask questions of each other and those that live there & get great recommendations (& discussions) on all types of restaurants, wine bars, food shops & neighborhood markets. Take a look - you have some time.

Before I answer your question, I have a couple of my own: first, does your request for "not fancy" mean "not expensive" or just not too upscale of an environment. And, what is your price range? Secondly, although the 3rd is full of small places, it is also adjacent (& walkable) to the 11th, which is a restaurant Mecca. And, of course, as you know, it's easy to get around Paris by bus/metro as well, so I wouldn't put much off limits if I were you. Are you open to other areas?

We just came back from a month's stay (not our first) &, depending on your answers, I can give quite a few suggestions.

And, off topic from restaurants, I just wanted to mention that the Paris History Museum finally opened a year or so ago https://www.carnavalet.paris.fr/ & is great. The "sign room" alone is worth the visit. Right there in the Marais.

Last edited:
There is a food board called HungryOnion.org with an excellent Paris section. Many American visitors ask questions of each other and those that live there & get great recommendations (& discussions) on all types of restaurants, wine bars, food shops & neighborhood markets. Take a look - you have some time.

Before I answer your question, I have a couple of my own: first, does your request for "not fancy" mean "not expensive" or just not too upscale of an environment. And, what is your price range? Secondly, although the 3rd is full of small places, it is also adjacent (& walkable) to the 11th, which is a restaurant Mecca. And, of course, as you know, it's easy to get around Paris by bus/metro as well, so I wouldn't put much off limits if I were you. Are you open to other areas?

We just came back from a month's stay (not our first) &, depending on your answers, I can give quite a few suggestions.

And, off topic from restaurants, I just wanted to mention that the Paris History Museum finally opened a year or so ago https://www.carnavalet.paris.fr/ & is great. The "sign room" alone is worth the visit. Right there in the Marais.
Oh dear. I must have failed to drop down to the end of the list of suggestions, so please pardon this very late thank you.

Money is less of an issue than pretense. My husband and I are old fogies and have little appreciation for food that is designed for photography stills and less for eating. And sure, we travel well and would be happy to travel out from the 3rd.

Meanwhile, I will check out HungryOnion.org and see what it offers.

Some bookmarks from my research. I can't vouch for all of these, just sharing. Being solo, "street food" is something I love to explore.

Chez Jeanphi - Enfant Rouge pita

https://www.cafedesangesparis.com/

Japanese in Marais: https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...20777ef502a04fb9!8m2!3d48.8566298!4d2.3583762

Little Red Door

Sandwiches: Carre Pain de Mie

Brazilian Street Food (high on my list) Onda

Pizza Momo

Crepes at La Doguerie https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...!8m2!3d48.871681!4d2.3534237!16s/g/11b6r972l5

Brasserie Vaudeville..across from La Bourse..big friendly place..art deco interior..old photos of theater folk patrons…old school menu..fruits de mer, steak frites, grilled sole..good spot

Also..any of the Boullion-Chartiers are good old school places..recommended to me by a Parisian acquaintance. I ate at the one on rue Montmartre. Don’t be put off by the line, if there is one, it moved fast.

Le Grand Colbert on rue Vivienne in the 2nd..another big brasserie with good unfussy food.

My wife and I are in Paris for a week in early July. First time! We are staying in the 6th between Odeon and Luxembourg Gardens and we would appreciate some recommendations for reasonably priced places to eat that we can easily walk to. Like Michele29, we like good unfussy food.

Polidor, since 1845, 45 rue Monsieur le Prince in the Latin Q
We had a very good lunch there..lots of atmosphere and history..solid classic dishes..big tables..some are shared BUSY

Thankyou Michele29. We happen to be staying in an apartment in that same street! We will definitely give Polidor a try.

Don’t know if you saw Midnight in Paris, but some scenes were shot there.
Hemingway , etc ate and DRANK there.
Known for its beef bourguignon…definitely GO
Our guide from Paris Walks, another rec, suggested it.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina