• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2019 No. 51 – Most Inspiring Travel Moment

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt 2019 No. 51 – Most Inspiring Travel Moment

Everyone’s photos really captures why I love visiting these open markets during my travels. I enjoy the lively atmosphere, the displays of fresh food and variety of other products sold, the music and most of all the interactions with the locals.

Next 2019 Photo Hunt Theme:
Photo Hunt No. 52 (December 29, 2019) – Favorite 2019 Travel Photo

It was a long, hot stage on the Camino which offered no shade from the sun or a place to sit and rest along the way. Finally, I stumbled upon a wooden bench sitting in the welcoming shade of a nearby tree. There was a young man sitting there and I asked if I could sit with him. He moved his backpack and with a smile greeted me to join him. After some small talk about the heat and distance into town we share with each other why we were doing the Camino. I told him that it was a celebration for my retirement and a time for reflection and gratitude. He told me that he was also retired and had always wanted to do this for a long time. I complimented him for being so young. He openly shared that he was on an early disability retirement from his work after being diagnosed with cancer. The conversation took on a more reflective turn focusing on life, our shared love of travel and the importance of taking the time to enjoy each moment. We were soon joined by another pilgrim whom he met earlier.

After leaving to continue on, I reflected on this brief moment of meeting this young man. I was thankful for the cool shade and for a place to rest my aching feet. But I was most grateful for meeting such an inspirational person. I still think about that moment and how it gave me my most prized lesson on the Camino and that was to be thankful for what and who I have in my life and to enjoy each moment.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Holidays.

DSCN1371.jpg

Brugge is often overrun by tourists during the day. And most people everywhere, both young and old, are mostly glued to their electronics. So, I was pleasantly surprised this past April to learn that the community in Brugge was sponsoring an afternoon spent outside for children. The television stations were asked not to broadcast any children programs. Astrid Park offered no-tech activities, providing cardboard, sticks, wood to build something as well as some games like balls, giant pick-up sticks, etc.

fullsizeoutput_777.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_774.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_773.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_770.jpeg

I totally agree with Kathy. The history, art, and architecture are amazing, but it's the people you meet who have the greatest impact. We first walked into Giorgio Bruno's shop while exploring Murano thirteen years ago looking for some authentic Murano jewelry. His shop (and home) is over a bridge, off the main fondamenta. He grew up on Murano, learning glass blowing and lamp work from his father. Giorgio guided us through the shop, all the while explaining the techniques he used in making his beautiful creations. The conversation was never about selling, but rather helping us to recognize the artistry and skill that goes into each piece. We hit it off. He introduced us to his family and took us to his workshop for a glass of prosecco. We have been back over the years and each time are greeted as old friends by this wonderful man and his wife.

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

So true. We have met some very lovely people in our travels. Not only locals but also other travelers. I had drinks yesterday afternoon with an Australian friend we met eleven years ago and an American friend we met ten years ago - both through SlowTravel GTGs. We see each other almost every year during this time of the year here in Venice.

I agree with JustTravel & Michael. The connections made and the interactions with others (locals & fellow travelers), during our travels are the most memorable. They are even more special when they turn into real friendships that carry on through the years.

I don't think I have a "most" inspiring travel moment, and even if I did, I probably would not take a picture of it.......but one thing that has impressed us very much in our touring of Italy is the way that many elderly citizens are still physically active. We have driven up steep inclines in Piemonte, passing elderly Italian couples or single people walking slowly up these same inclines, some carrying bags. Some of these places seem like they are in the middle of nowhere. We see the same thing in towns that are built on slopes.

Very remarkable.

In honor of these people, I am posting two pics I took of wall murals from the train station in Riomaggiore, in the Cinque Terre. I believe that the artist is Silvio Benedetto :

italy 230.jpg

italy 231.jpg

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina