• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Place to stay in Geneva, Switzerland

Georgia & Zig

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We are taking our granddaughter who just graduated from high school on a trip to Europe in July.

We will fly into Paris, spend time there and then in Lyon. After that we want to go to Strasbourg but I noticed that we could also spend a few days in Geneva, Switzerland on the way.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel, B&B or Airbnb in Geneva?
We will need a triple room or a double and a single or a small apartment.

I've stayed in Geneva a couple of times but in hotels. I liked this hotel where we stayed 15 or so years ago - La Cour des Augustins. It was in a nice area south of the river and a short walk to the Old Town. Most hotels are on the north side of the river, the modern part of the city. The Old Town on the south side of the river is beautiful but a quick glance shows that hotels are expensive there.

Note that hotels are expensive in Switzerland, but they are also usually very nice, meaning you can go down a star from your normal requirements and still have a good hotel. The hotel we stayed in was 4 star but we usually do 2 or 3 star in Switzerland.

Also note that EVERYTHING is expensive in Switzerland but it is a wonderful country.

Another option would be to go to a mountain town instead of Geneva, since the rest of the trip is cities. You could spend a few nights in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunen or Wengen or Murren or Kandersteg. Those are great mountain towns, right up in the mountains.

I've stayed in Geneva a couple of times but in hotels. I liked this hotel where we stayed 15 or so years ago - La Cour des Augustins. It was in a nice area south of the river and a short walk to the Old Town. Most hotels are on the north side of the river, the modern part of the city. The Old Town on the south side of the river is beautiful but a quick glance shows that hotels are expensive there.

Note that hotels are expensive in Switzerland, but they are also usually very nice, meaning you can go down a star from your normal requirements and still have a good hotel. The hotel we stayed in was 4 star but we usually do 2 or 3 star in Switzerland.

Also note that EVERYTHING is expensive in Switzerland but it is a wonderful country.

Another option would be to go to a mountain town instead of Geneva, since the rest of the trip is cities. You could spend a few nights in Grindelwald or Lauterbrunen or Wengen or Murren or Kandersteg. Those are great mountain towns, right up in the mountains.
That sounds lovely, but we will be traveling only by train, not renting a car. Maybe someday.
We just wanted our granddaughter to get a peek at a few mountains since she's never really seen any. I'm considering an Airbnb since I found one that has two bedrooms and doesn't cost quite as much as two hotel rooms or even a triple hotel room.

I'm not sure about Grindelwald and Kandersteg, but Lauterbrunen, Wengen and Murren are all easily accessible by train. I have never rented a car during any of my travels in Europe.

I stayed in Murren (took the train there / with train changes but the Swiss trains run on time!). I loved my stay in Murren. I visited both Wengan and Lauterbrunen on a daytrip (also by train).

Lauterbrunen is the base town at the bottom. If Geneva does not end up working out for you, staying in Lauterbrunen would probably be the easiest with a train trip up to Murren and/or Wengan for the day. It was pretty amazing though staying in Murren.

This is a view outside my hotel in Murren (in July). It felt like I could almost touch the mountains.
IMG_1141.JPG

I'm not sure about Grindelwald and Kandersteg, but Lauterbrunen, Wengen and Murren are all easily accessible by train. I have never rented a car during any of my travels in Europe.
All these mountain towns are accessible by train. The train system is great in Switzerland. Susan is right, you don’t need a car.

Geneva is not really very interesting IMO. You might consider Annecy in France, in the French Alps. Or Chamonix.

I stayed in Murren (took the train there / with train changes but the Swiss trains run on time!). I loved my stay in Murren. I visited both Wengan and Lauterbrunen on a daytrip (also by train).

Lauterbrunen is the base town at the bottom. If Geneva does not end up working out for you, staying in Lauterbrunen would probably be the easiest with a train trip up to Murren and/or Wengan for the day. It was pretty amazing though staying in Murren.

This is a view outside my hotel in Murren (in July). It felt like I could almost touch the mountains.
View attachment 36354
Wow! That is a fantastic view!

We stayed in Geneva a few years ago primarily to visit CERN and tour the Large Hadron Collider. Is was amazing, and your granddaughter may enjoy it if she has an interest in science, or it may spark an interest. Another highlight was the Patek Philippe Museum. The watches and jewelry are incredible works of art. But otherwise I agree that Geneva was a bit dull and especially since everything was closed on Sunday.

We stayed in Geneva a few years ago primarily to visit CERN and tour the Large Hadron Collider. Is was amazing, and your granddaughter may enjoy it if she has an interest in science, or it may spark an interest. Another highlight was the Patek Philippe Museum. The watches and jewelry are incredible works of art. But otherwise I agree that Geneva was a bit dull and especially since everything was closed on Sunday.
Thanks for telling me about CERN and the Patel Philippe Museum. I had forgotten where CERN was located. I would love to see it!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina