• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Pre-Flight Covid Testing

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
According to the Sherpa website we need a PCR test 48 hours before departure to Morocco. We're flying into NYC 2 days before our flight, so we'll have to get tested in NYC/JFK on the day before our departure. (I should mention that we're staying at the TWA Hotel at JFK) I found this information about Covid testing at JFK , which looks pretty convenient since it'll be on the way to/from the city, but what has me concerned is the turn-around time for PCR tests. I hesitate to say that surely if the test is required within 48 hours of departure the turnaround time for the test is less than 48 hours, but I've learned better than to use common logic for these situations.

Have any of you been required to have a PCR test, and if so, what was your turnaround time for results? Thanks in advance.

The key question is whether the RT-PCR test is valid, since some of the testing locations promise quick results for that.

I think a rapid test (that's analyzed on site) provides you with results with 30 minutes or so. Many testing sites must send your sample off to a lab and they can't control how quickly the results are returned. For our last trip to France, we found a pharmacy near us that did a rapid PCR test and also found a nurse with a mobile lab who came to our home and got results while she was here. But our local CVS could say "normally" within 48 hours, but couldn't promise. Thankfully now, a test is not required to enter France if you're vaccinated.

Knowing that Morocco closed all passenger flights for all of December and January makes me think they're pretty serious about this, so I doubt they'll drop the test requirement before we leave (March 12). I'm trying not to stress, trying to stay updated on the rules, and hoping it all works out!

Your local health department might be able to tell you where you can get a rapid PCR test. Just be prepared that this can be fairly expensive and may not be covered under your insurance since it's for travel and not health issues. I posted on my local nextdoor site to find the pharmacy that did the rapid tests ($159.99) and the health department told us about the nurse with the mobile lab ($140). Some airports (not ours) also have rapid test centers.

I think you're right that you need to assume that the test requirement will still be in place in March. So best to be prepared soon for where you'll get the test.

Our problem is that our flight to Morocco departs at 7 pm on Saturday. This means we can't be tested before 7 pm on Thursday. We arrive in NYC at 10 am on Thursday, so we'll have all day Friday and Saturday to figure it out. Hopefully Friday!

I would pre book now for your tests in NY, Barb.
My friends went from Canada to Massachusetts for a family wedding recently, and spent most of their trip driving from one drugstore and clinic to another to get tests to come home.
They had not thought to book in advance.
There just were no appointments, not enough tests, and it was very frustrating and time consuming.
Anything you can arrange in advance is helpful...less worry.

It would seem that since Covid is not going away soon, that rapid testing would be something that should be offered at the airports themselves, and that either private or governmental facilities would address the demand. Since airports are gateways for the spread of new variants, there is a clear interest to make testing as efficient as possible. If the cost should be subsidized or not is another matter.

Here in Israel the major int'l airport will supposedly be providing rapid tests with results in 4 hours, at a cost of $50 (which is twice the regular cost). At present, those landing in Israel are required to isolate until receiving a negative test result conducted upon arrival or for a 24-hour period, whichever comes first.

The NYC Dept of health website only shows the mobile testing site at JFK until Feb 20. Or maybe that's just as far as you can make reservations. The website is truly confusing and the people I spoke to didn't inspire confidence. I too don't understand why every international airport wouldn't have rapid testing easily accessible.

I would see how far you can get with the XpresCheck site, where the testing location is closest to the TWA Hotel.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina