• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Provence Provence (Vaucluse), Vaison-la-Romaine, townhouse in village, 2 BR

Hope it works out. The Viviani’s are wonderful & they live directly downstairs and go out of their way for anything needed.
I understand the travel restrictions. We usually drive to Florida in Jan & back to NYC end of March &, although we’ve never stayed in Beaufort SC, we’ve spent time in Savannah, St. Simon’s Island & Charleston and have heard the stories and seen the results.

Thanks to Ann from Hawaii, I'm very interested in this apartment. Lovely, is putting it mildly. Getting up there in years now, so I have a few questions. Steep stairs are a problem, (hip and knee replacement). Also, since there is no parking for the apartment, can you drop off your luggage close by?
Sharon, there are stairs to the second floor -- not terribly steep but if you'd rather not deal with them. you might prefer the other one nearby with the elevator. My knees don't like stairs much either, but I didn't have to use them all that much except at bedtime and getting up, since entry is on the ground floor, which does have a bathroom.

Luggage dropoff is as Steve describes for the other place -- you can pull up in front to unload and then move the car. The parking lot he mentions is probably the same one we used -- a public lot just up the block behind the post office.

If you do decide to go, let me know as I can recommend some good places to eat and visit. We stayed there not only in 2014 (date of this review) but also 2016 and 2017.

- Roz

Hi Roz. Wish you were going back in May -- we plan to spend 3 weeks in Sablet then, COVID19 willing. It's our 5th time there so Tony and Mary are giving us a 50% discount, which I think is amazing!
Take care and much aloha, Ann

Hope it works out. The Viviani’s are wonderful & they live directly downstairs and go out of their way for anything needed.
I understand the travel restrictions. We usually drive to Florida in Jan & back to NYC end of March &, although we’ve never stayed in Beaufort SC, we’ve spent time in Savannah, St. Simon’s Island & Charleston and have heard the stories and seen the results.
Beaufort is a charming town, although getting a little too popular with new people moving in. The Great Santini and Big Chill were both filmed here. We live on one the islands (Lady's Island), which is reached by the famous Swing Bridge in town.

Roz, oh my gosh, what are those elaborate/ornate ruins? Is that possibly in France? Stunning, and a must see for us.

Vaison la Romaine has several major Roman ruins sites that are incredible. If you rent the Viviani's apt. (& this is probably true for the one Roz stayed in as well), one of the sites is right outside your door and you have a full view thru the living room window.

Vaison la Romaine has several major Roman ruins sites that are incredible. If you rent the Viviani's apt. (& this is probably true for the one Roz stayed in as well), one of the sites is right outside your door and you have a full view thru the living room window.
Including the pictures of those very ornate buildings? I've seen a lot of Roman ruins, and I've never seen anything those. Almost look like something from India.

VRBO #317480
Owner's Email: glube6283 at rogers dot com {written like this to prevent robots from picking up the email}

Ten-day stay, October 2014.

This was one of the best vacation rentals Mike and I have ever stayed in. We loved the town of Vaison-la-Romaine, with its mixture of Roman ruins, a medieval hilltop village, a lively square, good cafes and restaurants, a fabulous weekly market, and no end of great day trips in the area.

The house had an amazing view out onto the main street of a former Roman town, excavated only within the last century. It is a 300-year-old building, fully renovated inside. The front door opens onto a fairly quiet, one-way street — we certainly had no noise problems while we were there. The ground floor is mostly an open space with living/dining area and an excellent kitchen. There is a bathroom with shower on this floor, as well as a laundry room with washer and tumble dryer.

On the second floor are two bedrooms. The master (which looks out onto the Roman site) has a comfortable queen bed and full bath with shower. We were staying there alone and used the second bedroom (with two twins) mostly as a dressing room.

The owner lives in Canada, and was very pleasant and helpful. We were able to pay the rental fee (which we thought reasonable for the quality of the house and location) by check in US dollars. Everything in the house was in great shape, and the wi-fi connection was fast and reliable.

Vaison is in the region of the Côtes du Rhône, which are among our favorite wines. We had wonderful food and wine in the area, and we felt the prices were generally more reasonable than in other, better-known, and often more crowded parts of Provence. However, I notice that the town is featured in the latest Rick Steves guidebook, so I’d recommend a visit there before it ends up overcrowded with Rick’s groupies. We would definitely return here, as even after 10 days, we could have spent a lot more time in the area.

Here is a link to my collection of Flickr albums for this trip, showing more photos of Vaison and nearby places we visited: Côtes du Rhône: Oct 2014

P.S. Edited to add: I forgot to mention that there is no parking associated with the house, but we never had a problem finding parking on the street or in one of the nearby lots. I suppose parking might be a bit difficult on market day in high season.

VRBO #317480
Owner's Email: glube6283 at rogers dot com {written like this to prevent robots from picking up the email}

This was one of the best vacation rentals Mike and I have ever stayed in. We loved the town of Vaison-la-Romaine, with its mixture of Roman ruins, a medieval hilltop village, a lively square, good cafes and restaurants, a fabulous weekly market, and no end of great day trips in the area.

The house had an amazing view out onto the main street of a former Roman town, excavated only within the last century. It is a 300-year-old building, fully renovated inside. The front door opens onto a fairly quiet, one-way street — we certainly had no noise problems while we were there. The ground floor is mostly an open space with living/dining area and an excellent kitchen. There is a bathroom with shower on this floor, as well as a laundry room with washer and tumble dryer.

On the second floor are two bedrooms. The master (which looks out onto the Roman site) has a comfortable queen bed and full bath with shower. We were staying there alone and used the second bedroom (with two twins) mostly as a dressing room.

The owner lives in Canada, and was very pleasant and helpful. We were able to pay the rental fee (which we thought reasonable for the quality of the house and location) by check in US dollars. Everything in the house was in great shape, and the wi-fi connection was fast and reliable.

Vaison is in the region of the Côtes du Rhône, which are among our favorite wines. We had wonderful food and wine in the area, and we felt the prices were generally more reasonable than in other, better-known, and often more crowded parts of Provence. However, I notice that the town is featured in the latest Rick Steves guidebook, so I’d recommend a visit there before it ends up overcrowded with Rick’s groupies. We would definitely return here, as even after 10 days, we could have spent a lot more time in the area.

Here is a link to my collection of Flickr albums for this trip, showing more photos of Vaison and nearby places we visited: Côtes du Rhône: Oct 2014

P.S. Edited to add: I forgot to mention that there is no parking associated with the house, but we never had a problem finding parking on the street or in one of the nearby lots. I suppose parking might be a bit difficult on market day in high season.
VRBO #317480

I think this is the one! Absolutely beautiful. I'll wait for this Coronavirus thing to settle down, and will contact him for a week next October. Off to Nico's this May.

I've seen a lot of Roman ruins, and I've never seen anything those.
The Roman theatre in Orange, about half-an-hour from Vaison, is often called the best-preserved Roman theatre in Europe. And don't forget the magnificent Pont du Gard, within an hour's drive of Vaison. I don't think you're going to be bored!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina