• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Renewing my passport :)

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
Passport renewal update (my experience).
I'd read it could take months to get a passport renewed. Mine expired in June 2022 and, after reading articles, knew I could apply 9 months ahead of time. Not being a procrastinator :) I started the process in Sept.
I mailed (with tracking from the USPS) on Sept. 6th. It was received on Sept. 10th. I figured I'd get my new one by the end of October.
Well wasn't I SURPRISED to get my new passport YESTERDAY! 3 weeks + 1 day from the date the processing center received my application.
Other friends told me theirs took 4 months. My sister got hers back in 6 weeks. Her husband had his SENT BACK because he was wearing glasses in his photo. (shame on whomever took his photo in the first place; no glasses allowed).
I'm wondering if mine came back so quickly because I have Global Entry?? Who knows. My passport photo is so horrid they probably thought I needed to get to Europe STAT!

So, that is my story! (Hopefully I'll get my old one back soon).
Happy travels!

**edited to add that I did NOT pay extra for expedited service**

Last edited:
So funny about your photo making it seem it is essential to get to Europe asap! :)

Glad you got your passport fairly quickly.

I sent my passport in for renewal 7/19/2021 and my check cleared 8/5/2021. I checked with the passport status check tool, and was advised that it could take up to 16 weeks. I also have Global Entry, so consider yourself fortunate that you received your renewal so soon. PokeyMindy, since I mailed mine about a month before you, someone must have picked up the wrong stack!

Last edited:
Just received my new passport today! In summary, my timeline was as follows:

07/19/2021 Mailed application for passport
08/05/2021 Check for passport cleared
10/27/2021 Received new passport

This is a total of 101 days or 14 weeks and 3 days. I paid a little extra for expedited return mailing. Not bad at all. I'm a happy camper and now looking for somewhere to go!

Last edited:
Although I renewed my passport, the new number did not transfer to my Global Entry. I am unable to update the passport number on Global Entry's web site. A phone call to one of Global Entry's locations, I determined that I need to make a face to face visit to one of Global Entry's Enrollment Centers, with old/new passports etc. OY Vey! On a positive note, they accept walk-ins with no appointment required for this type of transaction.

**EDITED TO ADD**. I had no trouble updating my new Passport number/date of issue and expiration date into the Global Entry/Trusted Traveler website :)

**EDITED TO ADD**. I had no trouble updating my new Passport number/date of issue and expiration date into the Global Entry/Trusted Traveler website :)
You are blessed and I am cursed! I recall that your overall process was faster & smoother than norm.

Thank you everyone for the Global Entry/Trusted Traveler reminder. We renewed our passports earlier this year (knowing we weren't going to be able to travel). Completely forgot about updating Global Entry! Thanks to all of you, we were able to quickly update information on the website. Hopefully, we'll get to travel before our Global Entry expires in 2023!!!

The Rest of the Story (see above): While on a short vacation in Southern California, I took a slight detour to the Passport Center in Los Angeles. With no appointment required, I was able to walk-in and have them update my new passport number in the Global Entry System. The entire process took less than 10 minutes. Nice people and prompt service. They had no explanation as to why some people can update at home and others can't. I suspect that I couldn't update at home was related to the fact that I renewed the passport long before it was going to expire. Just my hunch.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina