• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

rental car help

GrantandJL

we're looking to do a 4 week road trip starting in Split and Tirana, we'll be zig-zagging between countries.
I was hoping you could tell me which car rental companies have an one-off cost for border crossings and don't charge you for every time you cross a border.

Thank you :)

In my experience, all rental agencies charge extra for car return in a country from that of te start point of rental. Many also charge extra for car return in a adifferent point within the same country.
But think of the differential this way : you may seem to pay more, but you would also pay more if you were leaving the car in a given point then take train or bus or plain to get to point B.
Lastly, I was told that if you rent a car for more than 3 weeks, it is more economical to do a car lease instead of car rental. If I understand, a car lease means that a rental agency allows you to buy the car, and at the end of your road trip, it buys it back. I have not had this experience. Perhaps others can advise you better.

The lease deals are mostly associated with the French car manufacturers, there's an extra charge (sometimes waived during a sale) for pickup and delivery outside of France, and there are limited locations where it can be done. I don't think I've seen Croatia or Albania as possible locations for leases, but maybe it's possible.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina