• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scenarios for travel in the near future

joe

500+ Posts
How the pandemic might play out in 2021 and beyond - a recent article from Nature.
From the article : " “We’re going to need to change the culture of how we interact with other people,” says Neto. Overall, it’s good news that even without testing or a vaccine, behaviours can make a significant difference in disease transmission, he adds. "
Bottom line - there is still a significant lack of data, making predictions quite difficult at this stage.

Pauline

Forums Admin
The UK added France to their no-travel list late last night. Spain was added a few weeks ago. This means they recommend no non-essential travel and there is a 14 day quarantine on return.

Up until last night we had planned to drive to Switzerland at the end of the month. I had it worked out to overnight in France in small towns, hoping to avoid crowds (Abbeville and Langres near Dijon). Our holiday in Switzerland is in a small town and we would be hiking on empty trails.

Now we are looking at flying to avoid going into France.

The situation changes rapidly!

PokeyMindy

100+ Posts
it's like watching a tennis match...look this way, no that way....travel here, don't travel here! I hope it all works out so you can enjoy your time in Switzerland. I am fond of a YouTube channel, Eagle Eye Photography. He recently posted video's of his trip to Switzerland, many gorgeous shots using his drone. He did some hiking near Montreux and nearby areas.

View: https://youtu.be/t0FHHS5PnEY

and another from the day before. (in this he discusses, in the beginning, his decision of which drone model to bring with him to Switzerland....fast forward to around minute 6 to see his gorgeous footage of his hike). (Dan is British but lives now in France).

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauline

Forums Admin
I spent yesterday looking at flights from the UK to Switzerland but doing a bit more research this morning I realize we can still drive.

If France does not impose a quarantine for UK tourists, we can do our journey by car as planned stopping along the way in France for 2 nights (to make an easy drive) - Abbeville and Langres (near Dijon). Both are small towns which I think is better than going to a city (considering COVID).

On the way home we can transit across France without stopping to avoid the UK quarantine for Brits returning from France. From Switzerland we can drive north into Germany and spend the night, then go across northern France from Baden-Baden or another town in that area. That would make a 5 or 6 hour drive from Germany to the Chunnel. To avoid quarantine you cannot get out of the car and mix with people (so no public restrooms - find a field and fill up on gas before leaving) or let anyone into your car.

If France imposes a quarantine, we can do the same going to Switzerland.

We both woke up thinking "this is too complicated" but now we both think it won't be that bad. Driving is better than flying because we can cut the trip short easily if we need to or extend it if it looks like restrictions will be changed.

Switzerland, here we come!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
it's like watching a tennis match...look this way, no that way....travel here, don't travel here! I hope it all works out so you can enjoy your time in Switzerland. I am fond of a YouTube channel, Eagle Eye Photography. He recently posted video's of his trip to Switzerland, many gorgeous shots using his drone. He did some hiking near Montreux and nearby areas.

View: https://youtu.be/t0FHHS5PnEY

and another from the day before. (in this he discusses, in the beginning, his decision of which drone model to bring with him to Switzerland....fast forward to around minute 6 to see his gorgeous footage of his hike). (Dan is British but lives now in France).
Thanks! We visited the Cailler chocolate factory years ago!

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources