• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Seeking Advice for a 4-Week Balkans Trip Starting in Split

GrantandJL

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a 4-week trip to the Balkans starting in;
Split then move on to
Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Blagaj, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Kotor, Montenegro
Budva, Montenegro
Tirana, Albania
Berat, Albania
Ohrid, North Macedonia
Skopje, North Macedonia

and I’m looking for some advice to make the most of my journey. Our interests include history, architecture, food, wine, and relaxation. Here are a few specific questions I have:

1. Itinerary Suggestions: Any places that we missed in the Balkans that we should add or omit?
  2. Transportation: We are planning on hiring a car. Any reasons why we shouldn't?
  3. Hire Car Companies: Recommendations and things to watch out for?
  4. Accommodations: Can anyone recommend budget-friendly accommodations in any of our destinations?
  5. Top Attractions: What are the top historical sites and museums in these cities? Are there any lesser-known attractions worth visiting?
  6. Local Cuisine: What are the must-try dishes in these regions? Can anyone recommend good local restaurants or food markets?
  7. Wine and Drinks: Are there any recommended wine tours or tasting events in these regions? What local wines should I try?
  8. Safety and Scams: Are there any common scams or safety issues to be aware of in these countries?
  9. Weather and Packing: What’s the weather like in these regions in September? What should I pack?
Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Grant and JL

By 'hire' do you mean rent a car or do you mean hiring a driver? We hired a driver to get us from Dubrovnik to Split to Zagreg, and for the side trips that we took.

You're going to have plenty of time compared to our ten days. On that trip, we found Mostar to be worth it only to place a pin in another country on the map. It was hokey and felt like Epcot or something.

A highlight for us was Plitvice Lakes National Park. We took that trip from Zagreb, which I don't see on your list. We loved Lake Bled as well; another trip we took from Zagreg I believe.

We felt very safe in Split, Zagreb and Dubrovnik. We didn't see any scams; these countries are far more safe than a lot of other European cities IMO.

Tirana - The National Historical Museum covers the history of Albania from earliest times up to the end of Communism. There is almost too much to take in during a single visit

Berat - Allow time to explore on foot. It is a fascinating town. Must sees are the Onufri Museum (for its religious art and icons) and the Castle.

Any chance of adding anything else into Albania - The Roman site of Butrint is amazing and defininitely worth visiting.

There is also Gjirokastra with its castle, Skenduli House and the Ethnographic Museum.

Do a detour to the Blue eyed Springs.

The Roman site of Appollonia is also worth a visit. It also has a very good museum and a C13th church.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina