• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Segovia

Frank Gerace

10+ Posts
On a recent trip to Madrid to visit relatives, we decide on a quick day trip (it turned out to be too quick) to Segovi, declared a World Heritage by the Unesco in 1985. Although the city is famous for three main landmarks: its midtown Roman aqueduct, its cathedral (one of the last Gothic to be built in Europe), and the castle, we only saw the aqueduct. We lost too much time looking for the most economical cochinillito (suckling pig) because we were four adults.

cochinillosegivianoBIG.jpg

It was delicious but I would recommend you have the same dish in Madrid or anywhere else than in Segovia where it is an overpriced part of the tourist experience. This "report" will mainly document our admiration of the aqueduct. We did not get to the other main feature of Segovia, the 12th century royal palace the Alcazar.

The Aqueduct dates from the late 1st or early 2nd century AD.

lonshotBIGlessred.jpg

This extraordinary engineering accomplishment of the Romans is still used to deliver drinking water. It is right in the middle of the city

street and acueduct.JPG

and notable because of its size and architectural beauty.consists of about 25,000 granite blocks held together without any mortar,

closeup.JPG

and spans 818 meters with more than 170 arches,

arches.jpg

the highest being 29 metres high.

The Walls of Segovia existed when the city was inhabited by the Moors. They are built mainly of granite blocks but also reused Roman gravestones. The wall goes around the historic quarter.

wall alone.jpg

Please do not repeat our error. Make sure you also visit the Cathedral and the Alcazar.

Attachments

• cochinillosegiviano.htm.jpg
    cochinillosegiviano.htm.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 14
  • lonshot.jpg
    lonshot.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN4659.JPG
    DSCN4659.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 1555954767301.png
    1555954767301.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 13
  • lonshotBIG.jpg
    lonshotBIG.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4659.JPG
    DSCN4659.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 15
Frank,

My wife and I are leaving for Salamanca in three weeks. It is the first time to return this special place since 1972 when we were exchange students. Segovia was a weekend excursion while we were there, and the two things I remember the most was the aqueduct and the spool candles that were being sold in almost every shop. Two of candles sit by our fireplace today.

I hope we have time to do another side trip to Segovia.

The aqueduct 1972... Dang them Romans built well ;)
Segovia.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina