• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Situation in Italy :(

I'm not planning on doing that, but have been wondering if most restaurants and stores are open? I would hate to go, and find many places closed.

Regarding Americans entering and quarantining....Has this changed?? "Non-essential travel (i.e., tourism) to Italy from most non-EU countries (including the United States) is prohibited. Essential travel is allowed and includes students, businesspersons, EU residents, and relatives of Italian citizens."

EDIT: Prior responses did not display when I posted -- was having a cursing moment thinking we could have sequestered at my wife's house instead of canceling.

Under section E (Americans) you can enter Italy if: Italian / EU / Schengen citizens and their family members, as well as holders of regular residence permits and their family members.

They have added, as did most of Europe: for people who have a proven and stable emotional relationship (even if not cohabiting) with Italian / EU / Schengen citizens or with individuals who are legally resident in Italy (long-term residents), who must reach the home / domicile / residence of the partner (in Italy).

We have 'heard' stories about Americans coming to houses they own that don't meet the above criteria but we have no specific proof of that. It would be recommended to contact your Italian consulate to inquire.

We're back from Croatia (trip report forthcoming). The word there is that Americans can enter Italy after 14 days in Croatia, with a COVID test taken shortly before or after arrival in Italy. Also it looks like Americans can enter Italy after 14 days quarantining in the U.K. or Ireland.

We finally broke down and cancelled; we were supposed to leave on 9/19, and that clearly wasn't happening. We're doing a short vacation in the Berkshires as a consolation prize, which is about as far as we can travel from Cape Cod without leaving Massachusetts. :)

Ambivalence is driving me out of my mind! I want to go, late October, early November. I'm not sure I want to endure a quarantine if needed. The area in Umbria I'd be staying in has a very low incidence of virus. My family isn't too keen on my going just yet. So, I go back & forth, back & forth. It's a long 14 hour journey for me (from west coast of U.S.) all masked up, etc. No one else can choose for me but it helps to get it out of my head, so thanks for listening!

Cheryl
italianexcursion.com

Ambivalence is driving me out of my mind! I want to go, late October, early November. I'm not sure I want to endure a quarantine if needed. The area in Umbria I'd be staying in has a very low incidence of virus.
Cheryl

Indeed a dilemma and of course it's ultimately your decision. But it looks to me that if you are longing for this trip so much, then you should go ahead and do it. A major reason in support - aside from the enjoyment of the trip itself - is that it doesn't look like things will be getting any better in the coming year, so the question is : why postpone? You'll probably be confronting the same questions in the spring.
A quarantine - if you have the time and budget to go through one - is not such a bad experience.
Also : less tourists everywhere, and locals who are happy to receive the ones that arrive.

The only negative I can think of is that Italy might be on its way to a second wave, like other countries. But in the spring, maybe countries will be entering their third waves. And of course the fact that restrictions make routine things less convenient than pre-Covid - but again, it looks like we are all going to have to embrace this as part of life in the near future, wherever we are.
You might want to look at this as your personal revolt against the the somewhat inhuman situation that some places in the world have plunged themselves into - look at the countries where life has managed to co-exist fairly well with the disease, and decide if you might prefer to go down that road...

Thank you Alpinista and Joe for the encouragement! I will take your commentary under advisement....
And when I figure this out for myself I will let you all know.
Ciao-ciao,
Cheryl

Italy now requires those from Paris arriving in Italy to have compulsory COVID testing.
That is because Covid cases are high in those France regions.

A British actor on Twitter tweeted that he was tested when flying into Rome a few weeks ago. His point was that the results were back quickly while in the UK it can take a week if you can even get a test.

We entered Italy from Austria last Friday by car and there was no stop at the border. We drove straight through.

Ambivalence is driving me out of my mind! I want to go, late October, early November. I'm not sure I want to endure a quarantine if needed. The area in Umbria I'd be staying in has a very low incidence of virus. My family isn't too keen on my going just yet. So, I go back & forth, back & forth. It's a long 14 hour journey for me (from west coast of U.S.) all masked up, etc. No one else can choose for me but it helps to get it out of my head, so thanks for listening!

Cheryl
italianexcursion.com
Cheryl if you have the time, you could come to Croatia first, then to Italy after 14 days. You need to get a test to come to Croatia but there is no quarantine assuming it is negative. At this time you then need to test before you go to Italy. maybe It will change but for sure you can go there from here.

That's a good option, Shannon, thanks! A new direction may be the best solution if it will hold long enough for me to get there before changes occur....

Two views of the current situation in Italy - is the country starting to experience a delayed second wave, with schools and stadiums being allowed to open, or is the memory of the tragic developments in the first lockdown keeping the level of Covid spread relatively low?

It will be interesting for me to see how the Salone del Gusto, about to commence in ten days in Torino, will play out. We had accommodations for the event and I decided to cancel the vacation. As it turned out, I made the right decision - Israel is in lockdown, flights have been cancelled, and we would not have been able to go IAC.

Well Italy's latest travel decree expires tomorrow, Oct. 7th. I'm pretty sure they are going to extend it another month since cases are rising in Italy.

We have reservations for an apartment in Rome for Christmas and the cancellation deadline date is Nov. 23rd. I think if they extend the US restrictions another month we're just going to give up on trying to go.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina